View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 02:45 PM

Arrow '86 SDL noob revisited...

I posted back in November and so here is a recap...

1986 Mercedes 300 SDL 350k miles

I have allot of receipts of work being done and just some of them include;

6/10/7 Fuel hose return line, in-tank hose, filter, screen
3/27/7 11" fuel level sender, 3 pos switch VJD1
2/11/7 6 injectors (NA 36x) OE Reman 6 heat shields (601-017-00-60)
312324 Oil PSI tube on turbo
310598 Head replaced
305253 Fuel shut off servo, 'mono' valve, Fan Clutch
302344 A/C condenser R-134a changeover, switch, relay, Cruise Control Amp, align"major service"

291494 trans overhaul/update, drive line disc @ trans, vacuum valve on injection pump
3/19/3 alternator
274840 Vacuum pump
268947 radiator, oil level sending unit

My friend wanted a 'diesel' engine to put into his 1950 Ford F2. He found this car with a bad transmission and figured it might be a good donor.

After fiddling around and doing some research, we discovered that it was probably just the kick down switch keeping it in first gear. Apparently it was, because the trans seems to work fine now after mashing the throttle several times (engine off).

I drove the car, and really liked it. (actually it is the finest car I have ever driven) I thought it would be a shame to part such a nice car just for the engine, and so I traded him an '89 F350 that I was just going to part out anyway.

So, that was back in November. I drove it about a hundred miles without incident. I came home and parked it, and the next day when I went to drive it, it was stuck in first gear again. I have since discovered it is really second. I didn't have the money to get the car licensed and insured, without taking my awd van off the insurance, so I chose to just leave it until summer when I would have more time, hopefully some money, and less need for an awd van.

Time goes by, summer arrives but I have been busy so the merc still sits in the driveway. I came to the conclusion I wasn't going to get around to working on it, and so I decided to sell it. Well, in talking to a potential buyer about the trans problem, I recommended the peach parts forum had allot of info.

Well, now with playing with it again, and reading forums and email lists, I long for the car and wish it was working and I could just keep it for myself! This has happened to me before and I feel sure some of you can relate.

After spending all night googling SDL won't shift, I don't really have any other ideas than disconnecting the kick down switch. I did that and it still won't upshift. So I thought I would ask for some help on what to check. I find it impossible to believe that the transmission is "blown" as the fluid is clean and it was replaced like 50k ago. Also, the fact that it was not working, working flawlessly, and then just suddenly doesn't work again after it was parked. No slips or delays or awkward shift or anything...

Anyway, that is my story, and here are some pictures. Nothing exciting, probably just looks like another old SDL but here they are;

http://picasaweb.google.com/deanstud/Merc#

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...ine=1310252049