View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
Which engine are you thinking of...?

OM.606.962 has an Electronically controlled Mechanical fuel-injection-pump, an engine ECU and various sensors,--For tuning above about 220BHP, the pump needs modding anyway.

Prob is, It comms with the 722.6xx gearbox, and its ECU via CAN-BUS (Never heard of Manual E300TD W210) --So you gotta fit the box as well as its ECU--which mechanically is prolly simpler, but an electronic nightmare...

Now, whether the pair of ECU's comms with any 'Body related' ECU's as well, such as ABS, SRS, elect dashboard, etc, etc--Who knows!

I have heard of someone who fitted a Sprinter engine to a car (W201?) with all its ECU's etc, but cant 'break the Immobiliser'
--Maybe there's other issues with it too, I dunno...

Easiest way is drop the electronics and tune it mechanically, Thats what the Finns and others do....

Later Coomon-Rail Direct-Injection engines ain't as tuneable allegedly and you have all the issues above...
I was thinking the om603 in a w123 chassis, most likely a 300td (love those wagons with the yellow fogs). I was reading a bit over on superturbodiesel.com and found out that the biggest struggle with diesels is getting the inline pump to push out more fuel. Also saw that a common solution was to upgrade the elements. Once this was done then a bigger turbo (holset seems to be the most popular with the big HP Finns) could be installed or even adding a nice supercharger to the mix. Correct me if I am wrong in any of my thinking or have skipped a couple steps.

What kind of hp could I expect if I upgraded the elements to 7.5mm (guy on superturbodiesel.com does this and gets the parts from a guy in germany can't remember his name though right now) and also upgraded my turbo to say a big holset one (hx40?)?