View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 02:58 PM
...like a shield of steel

Estimated clearance volume for my OM617

I've been doing some calculations to see the effect of my engine rebuild on the swept volume and the compression ratio.

My engine has been re-bored and fitted with over sized pistons. The bores are now 91.5mm

I've calculated the clearance volume of a standard engine using data from the FSM and the information given on wikipedia:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_ratio

Here is a step by step re-working of the equation (each new line is a step to obtain the final formula)

Vc is the clearance volume, Cr is the compression ratio, and Vs is the swept volume

Using this formula I got a value of about 150 cubic centimeters of clearance volume.

Using the new dimensions of the re-bore (same stroke!) I've now got a 3038cc engine instead of a 2998cc engine.

Assuming that the clearance volume did not change during the engine rebuild I've come up with an estimation of the new compression ratio => I think it is now 21.26:1 instead of a 21:1

So my conclusion? (Considering it was an inconvenient unexpected engine rebuild)

...Well at least I now have a larger engine with a slightly higher compression ratio!
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone have any nifty ways of measuring the true volume of an engine's cylinder?-compression-ratio-formula-all-working-out.jpeg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OM617 swept volumes.pdf (21.5 KB, 282 views)
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!