View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
Which Molech?

Moloch, Molech, Molekh, Molok, Molek, Molock, or Moloc (representing Semitic מלך m-l-k, a Semitic root meaning "king") is the name of an ancient Semitic god, in particular a god of the Phoenicians, and the name of a particular kind of child sacrifice associated with that god.

Moloch was historically affiliated with cultures throughout the Middle East, including the Ammonite, Hebrew, Canaanite,[1] Phoenician and related cultures in North Africa and the Levant.

In modern English usage, "Moloch" can refer derivatively to any person or thing which demands or requires costly sacrifices.

wikipediaPart of the maturity I'm thinking about is recognizing that one's own list of absolutely essential priorities and policies is not necessarily going to be embraced by the entire nation and/or its representatives in govt.

I would agree that in some nations, the veneer of democracy is not too persuasive and doesn't cover for the fact of plunder and corruption. Some of that happening here, the plunder part that is. I wonder how many in the Senate (Kyl I'd wager for starters) are firmly on the Trent Lott track and have been for years, that is, serving long enough to prepare the way for a golden parachute job of lobbying into their twilight years.

What a deal, they get to feel important and get handsomely paid for it with much less hassle than when they were in office.
Nice tone. Solid content. No invectives.

Seems like the kinda place I'd like to spend time and get to know some people.

Good job.