View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 02:17 PM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolardave View Post
The body guy is leaning towards adhesive because he's confident that it's the least likely to rust in the future. His rationale is that even welding grade primer melts off during the weld and won't prevent weld seam rust. Also, once weld in place, it's nearly impossible to coat the entire inside of the panel.

He also pointed out that he had one heck of a time getting the front fenders removed. If the adhesive holds up half as well the glue holding the fenders in place, then the no-weld approach should be plenty stout enough to lasts for however many decades the car has ahead of it.

I do like welding because it's a known quantity and I've no first hand experience with the glue 'n go method. But given that even airplanes are assembled with epoxies these days, I'm willing to let him save me some money in labor and use the goo.

Anyone have any experience or recommendations either way?
I understand your concerns about treating the inside of the panels - I'm worried about that too. I was planning to treat with Dinitrol (Rust prevention | Rust treatment | Rust proofing from Dinitrol UK supplier). Their cavity spray was described on this forum as being the next best thing to leaving the car in the Sahara (sorry to who ever said that - I remember your comment but not your user name). It is a very popular solution here in rusty parts of Europe.

My worry about gluing on top of paint - if that is part of the plan? - would be that the strength of the bond is then compromised by the strength of the paint sticking to the metal...

I think a well kept but used(!) car with conventional spot welding and seam sealed treatment would last for a long time time - 20 plus years. How much longer must your car last?

Thanks to DeliveryValve for the glue links though - interesting option.
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!