View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 12:33 AM

KY area Independent Mechanic

The only thing i'm not comfortable with doing on this car is two things: Injection pump timing and replacing the chain/checking chain stretch.

And for some reason I'm really frightened about doing a valve adjustment (if your turning a engine over that burns diesel by compression, how do you prevent the thing from igniting the fuel and starting itself during the middle of a valve adjustment, and how do you fight the compression these guys make)

Anybody know of a good indy somewhere in KY I could go to for these three tasks? Ideally I'd like to find someone local to tell me what is wrong with this car, since i've never driven/seen one that is in good running shape.

Bodywise, this car is very good. Just a few things to fix (rear windshield welding commencing next spring for example).

Just need some help and someone to quickly walk me through my first valve adjustment...(although I have done many valve adjustments on my aircooled VW I had and could do them blindfolded)

Current:
*1984 300D ~200K,1989 MR2 250K, 2012 Ford Fusion 4.5K (fiance's car to replace the uber-unsafe cavalier)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Past: 1998 Chevy Cavalier ,2005 Saab 9-3 2.0T, 1996 Mazda Protege, 1974 Porsche 914 2.0, 1997 Land Rover Discovery 4.0L/5Speed, 1995 Jeep Wrangler