View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 01:30 PM
...like a shield of steel

Heath Robbinson home made lathe

Progress update!

Well it worked.

Here's a picture of the home made lathe. As I said before I had some bits in the garage that helped.

As you see I spent a bit of time making a guard for the V belt at the back. The electric 220V motor I'm using is a hand held plaster / cement mixer. It has a two speed gear box that allows you to run up 300 rpm or 650 rpm. I've been running at 300 rpm - as I didn't want to find out if I could burn the plastic rods I've been turning.

Would this design work for wood?

Yes.

Would this design work for plastic?

Yes

Would it work for metal?

Forget it!

Here's a picture of the mixer and an OM617 (what else?) alternator pulley borrowed for the exercise.

And here's a close up of the bolt system I made so that I can adjust the tension on the V belt.

This is only a temporary fixture - I'll probably be changing it a bit when it gets turned into my IP test bench - but for that I'm going to have to get a faster spinning motor...
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a part that goes within my W123 300D axle-my-home-made-lathe1.jpg   Looking for a part that goes within my W123 300D axle-my-home-made-lathe-powered-mixer.jpg   Looking for a part that goes within my W123 300D axle-my-home-made-lathe-belt-adjustment-bolts.jpg  
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!