View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 11:59 PM

Ticking after valve adjustment

Hey guys,

So I performed my first valve adjustment on my 1984 300D turbo. I made sure to make the chart so I knew which I was working on. I did the exhaust to .35mm, and I did the intake to .12mm. I didn't have .10mm, the closest I had was .12mm, which I thought was okay as the diesel giant page mentioned it didn't have to be totally exact, but I realized afterwards he meant like .102 would be okay.

Anyway, so I finished up, and drove the car. It idles better, drives smoother, acceleration is quicker, it's all around better. However, there's now a ticking in the valve cover area. I didn't notice it when the engine was cold and I first started it, but once it warmed up I noticed it.

From what I've been able to find, this could be from a lock nut I didn't properly tighten all of the way, or maybe for an incorrect adjustment. Could my .12mm instead of .10mm have caused that? And more importantly, I won't have time to get back in there for a couple days, is it dangerous/destructive to drive it like that? I know that's very general, but assuming it's an incorrect adjustment or something, can I drive it?

Thanks guys!