View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 03:41 AM
...like a shield of steel

Oh dear...

First things first. Just to make sure.

Remove the clock gauge from the engine and just play with it a bit. When you push the probe tip really slowly you'll see that the the big needle swings round in a clockwise direction when you push up. Letting the probe drop will mean that the needle will swing the other way in an anti-clockwise direction.

If you push the probe far enough you'll see that the little needle within the large gauge counts the number of whole rotations the big needle swings through.

When the clock gauge is completely removed from the engine and there is no pressure on the probe the big needle should be pointing at zero on the big scale and the little needle should also be pointing at zero on the little scale.

Note that you only get changes in the reading on the gauge when you push the probe upwards from this position. Note also that you are going to measure a deflection of the valve as is goes downwards into the the engine. So you are measuring a deflection in the other direction.

To make sure that the clock gauge still registers the changes you want to measure you need to push the probe some way into the clock gauge before you start. You could for example push the probe in so that the little pointer is pointing at "5" => so the big needle has swung round five times. This is going to be more than enough to measure the deflection of 2mm that you need to measure.

Once you have fitted the clock gauge in position - and the probe is resting on the valve spring retaining cap - and the probe on the clock gauge is as vertical as possible - and the probe is compressed sufficiently to allow a drop of 2mm => then you can turn the outer part of the clock gauge so that the big needle is aligned with the zero on the big scale.

At this point you are ready to start measuring. At this point you are ready to turn the crank in a clockwise direction.

I hope you take these pedantic instructions in a non insulting way - I am trying to help - not trying to teach you how to suck eggs.
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!