View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 02:43 AM
...like a shield of steel

I agree with alabbasi it is just a bad time to sell.

Life here in Europe has a feeling of uneasyness in the car market. New cars generally have loads of extras bolted on them or have 0% finance schemes when perhaps only three years ago that sort of thing was pretty rare / only for the really cheap non-cool brands.

Second hand car prices have fallen through the floor. Three to four years ago a diesel W123 parts car would have cost between 1800 and 2200 euros here in Holland (there's a serious premium for road tax free vehicles here). Today I see them advertised for about 700 euros to 1000 euros. They don't seem to be selling.

I've been keeping my eye out for really nice 1950s American tin and there used to be a lot of choice here so long as you were prepared to pay in excess of 11,000 euros. That "garage queen hobby car" market has more or less dried up. There's just nothing available like that at the moment - it is like there's no point in advertising them any more.

"Investment" buyers don't seem to be too confident - and nobody seems flush enough to say what the heck I've always wanted one of these (before I die).

If I were you I'd put the car into storage and keep it until the market gets stronger or you retire.

(I'm still waiting for my lottery win though - so you never know your luck!)
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!