View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 12:12 PM
B100

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstech View Post
on the hook? no. however, he is obligated to offer repairs to the corroded part to the customer. old stuff breaks.
Bingo. Mechanics can't be held liable for broken parts unless it was incompetence that caused the failure. Bleeder screws are designed to be opened for service, and if they don't (due to seizure) then it isn't the mechanic's fault if they snap off.

You couldn't just extract the old bleeder and replace?

When I did the brakes on my old truck (a '92 Dodge Dakota), I didn't have anyone to help me with the bleeding. Instead, I bought a couple pair of those one-man bleeder valves for minimal cost (under $20 IIRC). You bleed like normal except when you crack them open they don't need to be closed between pedal pumps. They have a check valve in them that lets air/fluid out but not back in. They worked great for me. Anyone have issues with these?

Back in the day when I had a '75 Celica that needed new calipers, I did the cheapest, no-help-required method possible to bleed the brakes - gravity bleed. I cracked all four bleeder valves, topped up the fluid, and let the car sit overnight. Woke up, tightened the valves, and presto, perfectly bled brake system.

1985 300D Turbodiesel - 315k
- "Recommended for competition events only"