View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 12:54 AM

Beru loop style glow plug source?

I have had a few Bosch loop style glow plugs fail on me, because my 220d runs very hot. I am working on the hot temperature problem currently, but I now need to replace the plugs.

The bosch plugs were about a year old. Two just failed me, so I want to replace them all. They were made in India (perhaps not relevant). They failed as an open circuit. Basically, internally, some connector failed, but the filament loop itself is fine.

So I have decided to try Beru plugs, but they are rarer than a unicorn. The official US vendor claims the Beru 382 loop style plug is on "backorder." Our hosts here do not carry Beru loop plugs. That place in AZ also don't carry Beru loop plugs.

I have contacted two people on Ebay who claim to sell them, and neither has any stock. I "bought" some from one vendor, and almost a week later was informed they don't have any stock.

I believe the Beru part number is 382 GK. I believe the mb part number is 0001596101. (Bosch calls them 80003, but that number might not be relevant because I don't want Bosch glow plugs).

I hope this isn't an inappropriate question on our forum, but Pelican doesn't have them, so maybe someone out there knows of a source. Thanks.

PS And while I appreciate the advice, please don't recommend that I change to parallel glow plugs. I like the salt-shaker indicator and don't plan to get rid of it any time soon. I also live in a mild climate in CA, so long preglows are not common.