View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 01:24 PM
Camera Hacker

W115 and W123 rear suspension interchangeability

I'm a vintage diesel Mercedes addict, it's official.

Last night I just closed a deal and made an agreement to buy a 1972 220D that has been mostly garaged in a much drier climate than where my 1978 300D came from (some moist pine forest in North Carolina.) Now that I know what to look for and where to look, I feel like I got a gem in this 220D.

That said, last year I replaced all the bushings in the rear of my 1978 Benz and a lot in the front. My question is, will all the parts between the W123 fit into the W115? Yeah, you know what I'm thinking. It would be a lot easier to just move the whole rear end (without the differential) from the later chassis to the earlier one. I'm not looking forward to replacing those bushings but since this car has less rust (only 2 small spots) it might be easier anyway.

So, does anyone know the answer to this? The subframe and trailing arms look very similar but even a tiny bit of structural change would make them incompatible.

Thanks all!

Phil Forrest

"The 220D sounds good... I suspect it is the only car that you need a calendar for, rather than a stopwatch, when doing acceleration tests."
Tom Abrahamsson