View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Fast Attack Submarines

I think since I'm doing trans and motor mounts next week I'll just do flex discs and center bearing....I started reading the horror stories after you mentioned that and $100 to toss in a new set of flex discs seems worth it. 31 year old car that hasn't been maintained all that well from what I've seen so far.

Also ordered glow plugs and reamer just because...it gets down to the teens here in winter and I don't expect to ride the motorcycle in winter this year. always have before but after a major bike wreck the body doesn't like cold anymore, I think it's my titanium parts. Replacement bike doesn't seem to care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpler=Better View Post
Visually inspect your flex discs, they can total a car when they fail.

The cables are a homebrew. Advance Auto (last I checked) had 2 gauge really cheap if you bought the whole roll. A battery quick disconnect is always a good idea, no matter the make or model.

Other nitpicks: timing chain tensioner spring is cheap and probably worn
manifold bolts like to loosen up from vibration, leaking exhaust at cyl 5
the aux coolant pump (engine bay, fender, passenger side)can sieze and fry your climate control
the boost line from the back of the manifold to the alda (on the IP) gets clogged with soot and puts the IP into "limp mode"
vacuum pump bearings can fall out of their races and go into the engine.(the achilles heel of this motor)

If you want a high output(110A) alternator the Bosch AL129X is usually on fleab*y for around $120, you typically only have to swap the pulley to make it work.

um...

check your sunroof drains, if they clog then you will get water in the cabin.
Check your rear axle boots.

If you want bigger front brakes the hub/rotors can be swapped from a similar model that escapes my mind right now.

If the exhaust is stock don't bother cutting anything out, the merc resonator and muffler are basically glasspacks. (but straight piping it does sound great...to me at least)
Hers: '72 Corvette 454/4spd, '99 MB SLK, '93 Metro vert, 78 240D, '92 Silverado, '65 Fjord Rustang, '59 Fjord Fairlane, '17 Slingshot.