View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
So a week and a half later, the parts and the free time to do the work have materialized, and I'm immediately confounded:

I've unbolted the set of rocker arm towers (set of three for cylinders nos. 3, 4, and 5) and they appear to be very firmly set in place, despite barring the engine all the way around and checking for the optimal position. The loosest place I can find (visually) is with the No. 3 cylinder exhaust valve at 12:00, and it seems that this is the right place, but is there a trick to getting them out that I'm missing? The only bolts I've removed are the three hex-heads on the rocker towers; the XZN ones at the bases appear to be head bolts and not related to the rockers at all.
I don't recall having any special problems when I removed all of mine for the Valve Seal Change.
But, you are not going to find a place where there is no spring Tension pushing on the Arms.

You might look up some of the Valve Seal change threads and see what they did.

What I cannot remember is if the Head or the Rocker Arm Towers (the partst that the Bolts go through to the Cylinder Head) have any sort of Tubes that center them on the Holes in the Heads.
If they do you just need to gently pry up on something to lift them a bove the lip of the Tubes.
If they do you just need to pull up the Rocker Arm Tower