View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 05:25 PM

Update. Sorry, I just noticed I never finished the story about the oil-drain plumbing. In the post #2 photos, I had just a stub tube on the rubber "PCV T" (1985 CA engines) to hold oil. It did collect a little oil in a few weeks of driving, so I figured best to provide a permanent drain. This engine has no blow-by, so the oil drops are most likely simply flung off the camshaft (you'll see if you leave the oil fill cap off). I could have just run the oil drain into the new silicone turbo inlet elbow (as M-B did in 85 CA engines), but no sense gunking the turbo blades and inlet manifold.

Instead, I ran a drain tube (5/16 or 3/8"D steel "fuel tubing", forgot) to the normal "air-filter oil-drain tube" on this replacement engine (1982, I think). I used some rubber "fuel hose" as a seal, and punched a hole in a silicone "plumbing shipping cap" as "dust cover" (never toss those), as shown in the photo. I hose-clamped it to the AC return tube (not shown) w/ cut rubber hose as isolation. That was for support and to dampen vibrations in the tube.

If I ever finish rebuilding my 1985 CA engine, I'll either install an earlier upper oil pan to get its "oil drain w/ check-valve" stub or I'll add a drain stub to my silicone elbow.
Attached Thumbnails
No more "lotta shaking going on"-20140105_070231.jpg