View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 07:24 AM

UPDATE - and the saga continues.....

Sooooo, friends and neighbors. It's been exactly one year since we brought 'Spouse' home from Rhode Island. Since then we've been busy replacing the IP and other parts on my other wagon, 'Klaus'. We started working on Spouse about 6 months ago, finally. Yesterday I got Spouse running again, turned out to be a poorly timed IP;

Before fixing the timing;

Spouse engine running before I started working on it 01 SEPT 2013 - YouTube

After fixing the timing (and replacing the IP, injectors, and cleaning the Dickens out of the engine)

Spouse first start - after being fixed, 01 SEPT 2014 - YouTube

Here are some links to other threads I started related to working on this car, and the troubles I met with (mostly caused by my own stupidity);

No it's time to work on "Spouse" - my other 87 300TDt

Good day installing new IP in "Spouse" - then I had to go and ruin it ! Broken tab.

87 300TD "Spouse" - tons of white smoke, smells like fuel....

I've started a list of the things I need to do, beofer we can get the car inspected and legally on the road again;

• It's missing some fuses and relays which will account for most of the electrical issues I’ve found.
• The horn doesn't work, neither do the turn signals (but the emergency flashers do).
• The rear wiper is inop and the driver’s side windows don't move.
• Sunroof is stuck and cock-eyed.
• There is some kind of a hydraulic leak in the SLS on the passenger side shock, maybe also on the driver side. Gotta get the wheels off and have a look-see.
• The rear hatch stays up, but the auto latch does not actuate (I have a Pick-A-Part replacement for this, but it is a BEAST of a job to install).
• The serpentine belt acts like it is loose, but I can't see why (it vibrates badly at idle, makes a buzzing sound - then it'll stop for a while, then start again like something is cycling on and off that is putting a big load on the belt - maybe the A/C compressor, but that is shut off).
• Oh yeah, there is probably at least one stuck caliper - I can hear and feel it when I drive it around the block (though the breaks feel strong and tight).
• I was just told by Quahog that there is a loose hub issue on the RR wheel – so that’ll need some addressing.
• I really need to address the vacuum lines too - there are many connections missing - I'm looking for the screw-in nipple that comes out of the side of the ALDA (I forgot to remove that part from the old IP when I sold it) - and the 5 way connector located right over the secondary fuel filter. I printed out a gigantic schematic of the vacuum system which will make the job easier. I am sure all of those missing sections aren't helping matters. Before I worked on this, the engine flat-out would not shut off, nothing worked. Had to open a hard line to stop the engine.

Y'all have probably been following pwogaman's maroon 87 300TD project;

1987 300TD W124 Wagon...DC Impound Auction...$450 Ends 07/18/2012

Well, he really inspired me. Between the two of us I think we're starting a rehab center for un-loved w124 diesel wagons. Problem is, neither of us are willing to allow our wagons to be adopted. We are wagon hoarders. Discovery Channel is going to do a special on us next Spring.
1980 300TD names Chloie (now sadly gone)