View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Precision Somethingist.

'79 240D glowplug kit

Hi,

The original wire glow plugs were upgraded to pencil-type. For some reason there is a wire connected directly to the battery, and one small gauge
wire (18 or less?) breaks out of the wire bundle to a terminal on the solenoid.
The car, after the glowplug kit was installed, developed electrical issues, namely the battery would quickly discharge after running, as if the lights had been left on.
When the car came to my place, I decided to disconnect the wire after a run, and the car starts even over a week later like it was shot out a cannon.
What could be the cause? I am thinking something is not wired correctly through the glowplug relay, or it could be the radio circuit-which is aftermarket-and is also wired hot to the battery, and bypasses the stock fuse panel.
I don't want to get into tearing apart wire bundles, but I am sure it will have to be done to single out the culprit.
The PO replaced the starter, alternator, alternator bracket (new) ignition switch (new) without giving thought to this one wire, and what it was connected to. Maybe the glowplugs are staying ON?!?
I can't imagine a radio circuit drawing as much power as the headlights, but something is drawing a lot of juice!

Any ideas appreciated!!!

Thanks,

snapped_bolt