View Single Post
Old 10-31-2015, 12:26 PM

As an old guy I remember a time when some engines used non detergent oil... like my 1949 IH340 tractor.... and I remember warnings not to change to the new detergent oils because it would clean and put into suspension a lot of built up gunk.

For those who did want to change... there were proper warnings to change out the oil filter quickly and often until there was evidence that no further avalanche of crud was being loosened...

But for engines which have always had detergent oil in them.... and had normal oil and filter changes during their lives... I suspect there is little ' dirt' in the system which could cause problems...or the ' dirt' is in a place it will stay unless harassed... like the bottom of the pan..... . I suspect more important is the lubrication properties of the oil which may be deteriorated due to oxidation and contamination.

I like the warm feeling and the visual I get from changing the oil via the oil plug and that ' dirt ' in the bottom of the pan being exited from the engine completely...

BUT I suspect that is a psychological bias not supported by any physics of the situation... and that our engines which have a dip stick tube sucking design ability....and a huge oil filter.... are perfectly served by regular changes of the proper oil and filter...

And being old enough to remember Non detergent oil... I am also getting to where the ability to change the oil and filter while standing up.... is increasingly important to me..
So I am thankful to those Germans who seem to have planned ahead... and appear to have approved of pulling the oil from the dip stick tube.