View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 02:07 AM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123mike View Post
changed water pump and did not install rad fan. Since it's winter, not a problem, I'm thinking of using the ac fan with a switch in the summer. How great an idea is this? The ac rad is pulled. The plus seems like the engine is smoother with out it. Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
My 85 has a good running engine, radiator and AC condenser fins are clean, temp gauge runs at 82 C normally. I removed the fan and fan clutch April of last year and has been running that way since ( love all that extra room created). I added a snap switch on the thermostat housing to control the ac aux fan automatically as well as a manual switch to turn the aux fan on whenever I want.

In my experience, as long as ambient is below 90 F, the aux fan keeps the temperature steady at around 82 C even sitting in traffic. Above 95 F ambient, the aux fan cannot keep up in traffic and the temperature would creep up to 100 C and beyond. In those situations, I pull over, shut the engine off, pop hood, let the aux fan run to cool engine down. I will probably add a small electric puller fan before next summer.
My experience too - no fan - no problem for most of the year here in Northern Europe. The capacity of the radiator and the amount of coolant in a 300D is big enough for this.

But it all comes down to low ambient air temperatures and a block free cooling system.
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!