View Single Post
Old 04-19-2016, 08:18 PM
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighairybrad View Post
Thanks for all replies and good advise...I took the least nasty looking of my old injectors apart last night and boiled it in an old turkey fryer that i converted to a hot tank. I used water and dawn dishwasher detergent and left it in there for about three hours. It did a pretty decent job on the grease but the carbon around the inside of the lower half was still there. I followed up with a small brass brush attachment on my dremel to get the carbon off the inside walls of the lower injector half. It came out pretty clean. Gonna follow up tonight with lapping, a soak in lacquer thinner and reassembly.
VStech the MM oil treatment sounds interesting and worth doing while I have the injectors out. I'm assuming I would just add it into the prechambers and let it soak, get a bunch of towels ready and crank the engine over? How much per cylinder should be added?
Oh I also should mention that I'm using that Startron Diesel additive in the hopes that it will eat some of the crap inside the tank.
Until the cylinder is full. With their being a slight tilt on the vertical axis you'd want to make sure there's enough liquid to saturate all away around the piston.

If you want the carbon gone I'd recommend a gallon bucket of the carburetor cleaner sold at auto parts stores. It's about 20 bucks. They come with a small basket for dipping parts but you probably would want to find some bowls or something so you won't mix one injector's parts with another.

I used a brass bottle brush for the interiors and steel toothbrush for the outsides. That cleaner removed everything but a little rust on the outside of one injector. A little sandpaper took care of that.
95 318ic