View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 08:35 AM
Formerly of Car Hell

The seals on these MCs and slaves are not forever seals, nor are the MC's. On my W201 190D, and W123 240D I've done some work. Looking at my w123 300D manual, the cylinders and arrangement are superficially the same at least.

The clutch/brake pedal cluster comes out for service as an assembly. There's a safety pin that is a little trouble coming out until you look at it and see how it wants to go.

(on the 201 at least) the brake light switch is adjustable, but only one way 1/4 turn in and out with a safety tab. Remove it and save yourself some trouble before you take the above pin out.

The input shaft on the MC for my W201 broke=drive home no clutch. Had to stall it more than 3X. Starter was sufficient for a standing start in 1st.

The pedal cluster from my 201 parts car swapped OK, but take care when pulling the plastic barb out for the fill line out of the MC, it could break, then, sad face and more work.

The dry replacement MC bled in a few minutes. I took care not to let the line to the slave drain when pulling the MC, topped it off w/ brake fluid and screwed it into the new MC. A combination of gravity fill from the brake reservoir, pumping and bleeding at the bottom of the MC did it.

The seal on the replacement MC may have dry rotted, or may just be used up. After a couple months, it will disengage the clutch, but not hold it for long. Could be a problem at the slave as well.

All things are burning, know this and be released.

82 Benz 240 D, Kuan Yin
12 Ford Escape 4wd

You're four times
It's hard to
more likely to
concentrate on
have an accident
two things
when you're on
at the same time.
a cell phone.

www.kiva.org It's not like there's anything wrong with feeling good, is there?