View Single Post
Old 12-04-2016, 12:54 PM
ISO Certified Hard Head

heater plugs, again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLGUY View Post
If there is no heater installed, it is nearly impossible to get the screw plug out to install one. ...I am sure others have tried it without removing the manifolds, but I can't see how it can be accomplished that way.
here's a picture of the installed location:

The part is available from Mercedes dealers. its around $55.

In one instance, i've unloaded the hex plug with a battery powered impact wrench. In
another, i broke the homebrewed 'socket adapter' and had to re-weld it twice. YMMV.

The hex plug is 13/16", same as the spark plug wrench. I used an old tubular type
SPW and a scrap 1/2" drive impact socket to make a tool that mounts on a 3/4" slider
bar, readily extended with a 1" pipe. I ran a 10mm bolt through and brazed both ends,
which made the tool torsionally stiffer, suppressing breaking the weld.

A 4' cheater bar and an Ox-Acet torch pre-heat almost always allow the plug to be
readily unscrewed from the water jacket. Its galvanically corroded to the cast iron block.
I've also used propane, but It can take a long time to pre-heat. ALL the water must
be removed from the water jacket to allow this to happen.

Swing clearance for the 4' bar obviously does require manifold and/or turbo
removal. See my previous article for more info.

1982 300TD 617.912 <NLA> . 1975 2002 E10-EFI . 1976 914c6 . 1983 MG LMIII <NLA>. 1988 Montero / 616<NLA> . 2001 TLS . 2005 Saab 9-5 Wagon