View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 05:10 AM
...like a shield of steel

The dent in the wing looks way worse than it is. Go and see a "paintless dent removal" chap (not a "normal" body shop) and I'm sure they'll be able to make it look so so much better. Don't be tempted to buy a new / replacement wing the effort required in replacing and getting it to look correct is immense.

Sealant on the inner wing is probably RTV - silicone and paint isn't such a great match but if you clean out these areas - degrease (!) - and then repaint with something like POR15 then it'll be a pretty good repair for the next few years. If you are going for a beautiful repair, however, you have a whole load more work to do...

...cracked sound proofing on the floor pan usually means rust underneath.

What has probably happened despite the liberal use of your wife's hair dryer is that water has gotten under this sound deadening and has spread itself across the entire floor pan. Capillary action is a bugger!

If I were you I'd hack all of the old sound deadening away from the floor pan and replace with a modern equivalent. These "horse hair" and bitumen type pads are still available from the dealership but they come really stiff and flat and need serious amounts of heat and patience to get them to fit. I don't think it is worth the effort.
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!