View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 07:02 PM
There is Life After VW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul roberts View Post
That shop is practicing good business by being upfront and letting the customer know the reality of the job of best or worse case scenario. The 606 glow plug job potentially has a whole different set of rules compared to the 617 or 603. You never know how that job will go until you're already into it. Customers usually prefer that than the dreaded unexpected phone call of how their $500 job escalated to big $$$$. They then have the option of backing out before the job is started. We always tell them the low and high end. when it's low, they're happy. When it's the higher, they're prepared, but not irate.
Paul, you've raised a good point, and you've caused me to examine more closely what I don't like about the situation as described by packerfan. Thanks for that!

Yes it is good and proper for a shop to manage expectations around a potentially complicated and expensive repair. I believe there's more than one way of doing that, given the job of replacing GPs in an OM606.

My thought about packerfan's experience is that I'd want to know my bill was going up from $500 to $2000 well before being called to pick up the vehicle. I'd want the chance to say "stop there" before taking on $1500 more in charges. It's as if the shop is giving itself license to bust off glow plugs and send the head out for repairs willy nilly.

From my own experience with OM606 glow plugs I'd venture that a experienced mechanic knows when a GP is so tight they risk breaking it off, and can stop before that happens. If I were the "shop" in this case I'd be willing to take a look at the GP situation, for a fee, and provide options and set expectations from there. If I were looking for a shop to do the job for me that's what I would want.

That's how I work when estimating repairs to the old watches I work on. I charge a fee to take them apart and have a look before providing a detailed estimate. Works pretty well. It allows me to provide a more precise idea of what the maximum charges will be or could be given different scenarios/options.

Sorry to have taken this thread a bit off the original topic.