Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,542
How hard is it to change out glow plugs on W124?

I have a 1991 300d, need to change out the glow plugs. Getting prices of $250 or so plus parts.

Not sure if I could do this myself, but the $250 sounds steep.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The slums of Beverly Hills
Posts: 5,536
$250 sounds like a bargain to me considering the manifold and a few other ancillaries have to be removed to get to the GPs.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-04-2017, 05:27 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,796
You can R&R all gp without removing the manifold. It is difficult but doable. How you value your own time? I value my time at much less than $250.
__________________
Not MBZ nor A/C trained professional but a die-hard DIY and green engineer. Use the info at your own peril. Picked up 2 Infractions because of disagreements. NOW reversed.

W124 Keyless remote, PM for details. http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/mercedes-used-parts-sale-wanted/334620-fs-w124-chasis-keyless-remote-%2450-shipped.html

2 x 87 300SDL
1 x 87 300D
1 x 87 300TDT wagon
1 x 83 300D
1 x 84 190D ( 5 sp ) - All R134 converted + keyless entry.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-04-2017, 05:32 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 306
$250 is fair for that job.
__________________
'80 300SD - '83 240D - '00 E55 AMG - '97 Land Rover D1
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-04-2017, 06:51 PM
jake12tech's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,479
You don't have to remove the manifold, but it makes life a lot easier. If you use common sense, and have some mechanical aptitude, I'm 100% confident you could spend the price on parts and do it yourself. It's going to cost you about $80.00 in parts.
__________________
1999 E300 551K
1999 E300 211K
1998 E300 422K
1998 E300 275K - GFs
1987 300D 96K
1969 AMC AMX 80K
2009 Suzuki GSXR-600 25K
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2017, 01:34 AM
Jeremy5848's Avatar
Registered Biodiesel User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sonoma Wine Country
Posts: 8,393
If you do it yourself, one option is to change only the glow plugs that need changing, another to do the glow plugs that require removing the manifold, a third to do all of them. If you have to pay someone to do it, it's better to do them all and pay labor only once.

Also, don't cheap out on glow plugs: Bosch or Beru only! Finally, list price for glow plugs can be as much as $30 each depending on part Number and source, and as little as $5-10 each if you shop around. A shop that will use your parts to do a job would be wonderful; my local Indy explained that the parts mark-up paid for the shop (labor pays for HIM).

Jeremy
__________________

"Buster" in the '95

Our all-biodiesel family
1995 E300D (W124) . .239,000 miles My car
1996 E300D (W210) . .313,000 miles Wife's car
Santa Rosa population 170,685 (2012)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 722,685
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-05-2017, 01:20 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,590
I dont see how you could change the plugs in a 602 turbo without pulling the manifold. You would need tiny hands and more flexibility than a yogi master. In any event, pulling the manifold to clean out the carbon should be done on the same schedule as changing the plugs. Its not hard, but it takes time. $250 sounds about right for a shop.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-25-2017, 09:50 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Green Bay, Wi (frozen tundra)
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbach36 View Post
I have a 1991 300d, need to change out the glow plugs. Getting prices of $250 or so plus parts.

Not sure if I could do this myself, but the $250 sounds steep.
i have a 1995 E300 and the glow plugs seem to be welded in place at the factory!
They are impossible to get at and impossible to remove. I got a quote from "Page Auto" in Green Bay, Wis. $500 minimum and if any break off they would call me if it exceeds $2000.00!
How crazy is that?
I love my car but I am living with dead glow plugs and have to plug the engine heater in all winter long just to get it started. Very poor design by Mercedes.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-26-2017, 01:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,542
Use penetrating oil a few days prior and warm the engine

Read up on how to get them out. If worse comes to worse and they break, drill them out.

When you put new ones in, use anti-sieze and change them at 60,000 mile intervals.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-26-2017, 01:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,542
My mechanic changed them without removing any parts!

My mobile mechanic changed all 5 glow plugs on my 1991 300d without removing any parts. He has all kinds of swivel tools.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-26-2017, 02:33 PM
gmog220d's Avatar
There is Life After VW!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by packerfan View Post
i have a 1995 E300 and the glow plugs seem to be welded in place at the factory!
They are impossible to get at and impossible to remove. I got a quote from "Page Auto" in Green Bay, Wis. $500 minimum and if any break off they would call me if it exceeds $2000.00!
How crazy is that?
I love my car but I am living with dead glow plugs and have to plug the engine heater in all winter long just to get it started. Very poor design by Mercedes.
That shop is telling you they don't want the job. If you want someone to do the job for you then I'd look for someone else.

I feel your pain! This is the kind of situation that pushed me into figuring out how to do these jobs for myself. It may push your skills and patience, but it's far from impossible:

OM606 Glow Plug removal Tips and Tricks

'95 E300D - Fully Unthreaded But Stuck Glow Plug
__________________
- Greg -
1974 240 Diesel
1996 E300
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-26-2017, 03:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: bellevue, wa.
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmog220d View Post
That shop is telling you they don't want the job. If you want someone to do the job for you then I'd look for someone else.

I feel your pain! This is the kind of situation that pushed me into figuring out how to do these jobs for myself. It may push your skills and patience, but it's far from impossible:

OM606 Glow Plug removal Tips and Tricks

'95 E300D - Fully Unthreaded But Stuck Glow Plug
That shop is practicing good business by being upfront and letting the customer know the reality of the job of best or worse case scenario. The 606 glow plug job potentially has a whole different set of rules compared to the 617 or 603. You never know how that job will go until you're already into it. Customers usually prefer that than the dreaded unexpected phone call of how their $500 job escalated to big $$$$. They then have the option of backing out before the job is started. We always tell them the low and high end. when it's low, they're happy. When it's the higher, they're prepared, but not irate.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-26-2017, 07:02 PM
gmog220d's Avatar
There is Life After VW!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul roberts View Post
That shop is practicing good business by being upfront and letting the customer know the reality of the job of best or worse case scenario. The 606 glow plug job potentially has a whole different set of rules compared to the 617 or 603. You never know how that job will go until you're already into it. Customers usually prefer that than the dreaded unexpected phone call of how their $500 job escalated to big $$$$. They then have the option of backing out before the job is started. We always tell them the low and high end. when it's low, they're happy. When it's the higher, they're prepared, but not irate.
Paul, you've raised a good point, and you've caused me to examine more closely what I don't like about the situation as described by packerfan. Thanks for that!

Yes it is good and proper for a shop to manage expectations around a potentially complicated and expensive repair. I believe there's more than one way of doing that, given the job of replacing GPs in an OM606.

My thought about packerfan's experience is that I'd want to know my bill was going up from $500 to $2000 well before being called to pick up the vehicle. I'd want the chance to say "stop there" before taking on $1500 more in charges. It's as if the shop is giving itself license to bust off glow plugs and send the head out for repairs willy nilly.

From my own experience with OM606 glow plugs I'd venture that a experienced mechanic knows when a GP is so tight they risk breaking it off, and can stop before that happens. If I were the "shop" in this case I'd be willing to take a look at the GP situation, for a fee, and provide options and set expectations from there. If I were looking for a shop to do the job for me that's what I would want.

That's how I work when estimating repairs to the old watches I work on. I charge a fee to take them apart and have a look before providing a detailed estimate. Works pretty well. It allows me to provide a more precise idea of what the maximum charges will be or could be given different scenarios/options.

Sorry to have taken this thread a bit off the original topic.
__________________
- Greg -
1974 240 Diesel
1996 E300
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-26-2017, 07:48 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: bellevue, wa.
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmog220d View Post
Paul, you've raised a good point, and you've caused me to examine more closely what I don't like about the situation as described by packerfan. Thanks for that!

Yes it is good and proper for a shop to manage expectations around a potentially complicated and expensive repair. I believe there's more than one way of doing that, given the job of replacing GPs in an OM606.

My thought about packerfan's experience is that I'd want to know my bill was going up from $500 to $2000 well before being called to pick up the vehicle. I'd want the chance to say "stop there" before taking on $1500 more in charges. It's as if the shop is giving itself license to bust off glow plugs and send the head out for repairs willy nilly.

From my own experience with OM606 glow plugs I'd venture that a experienced mechanic knows when a GP is so tight they risk breaking it off, and can stop before that happens. If I were the "shop" in this case I'd be willing to take a look at the GP situation, for a fee, and provide options and set expectations from there. If I were looking for a shop to do the job for me that's what I would want.

That's how I work when estimating repairs to the old watches I work on. I charge a fee to take them apart and have a look before providing a detailed estimate. Works pretty well. It allows me to provide a more precise idea of what the maximum charges will be or could be given different scenarios/options.

Sorry to have taken this thread a bit off the original topic.
Yes, just a simple phone call works wonders with customers. We don't spend one dollar over an estimate without a phone call. In the case of the glowplug removal, if we find that we're going to run into a problem we make the call to discuss how they want to further approach the situation. Whether it be go for it, stop or just replace the ones that will easily come out. It's always their call. We can only throw numbers at them and advise....yes, sorry for straying off topic.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page