View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenterman View Post
I really don't want to pull the head again. The engine runs OK, as I said.

I didn't think it was a good idea to file the top nut, as I assumed it was hardened. If Diesel911 is correct, I can get the nut off to file the valve stem without removing the camshaft. I suppose if I have to, I can depress the valve to get it off. I figure I can get a Dremel stone in there to do the filing.

Yea, it's the machine shop's fault. They should have at least run a straight edge along the end of the valve stems. But the first valve adjustment after reinstalling the head went fine--the problem developed over a year later at the second adjustment since the re-work. So I'm sort of on shaky ground with regard to making claims.

Also, this is the only machine shop in my area, they are very reasonable, have done other excellent work for me, and I want to measure good will against any perceived liability.
Yes I agree... it is interesting that it functioned that long before being discovered... and I am not sure what the machine shop could have messed up to produce this evidence... Perhaps Steelite valve seats were not used or they were not properly heat treated...which would not be the machine shop's fault..

AS TO filing or grinding on any of those surfaces.... make provisions before hand to deal with the THREADS which will be affected... things like putting some nuts on the threads... to be taken off OVER the ground area.... and having the proper thread restorers handy ....