View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 09:21 AM
Formerly of Car Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstl99 View Post
Thanks folks.

Firstly, there is no longer a "pull up/down rod button" or any kind of handle on the inside of the tailgate. Must have gone the same way as the rear wiper assembly at some point in the car's past.

Secondly, I didn't do the "welding rod through the screw hole" trick because I don't weld and don't have rods.

So: I crawled in the back of the car and with lights, mirrors, screwdrivers, and fingers, I managed to pull or push the right combination of levers to disengage the hasp part below, which allowed raising the door.

So now the door is up and I can more easily (sort of, it's a hellish cramped spot inside the hatch to access the assembly and try to even figure out how it works.

Now that it's out, I flipped with my fingers the lock mode on the hasp, and now for the life of me I can't unlock it. There's probably something amiss with the assembly, and I'm thinking of taking it out of the door (at least the service manual is of SOME help in removing it) and testing it out on a bench.

Anyway, the car will slumber in the garage all winter, but I have a bit more hauling to do with it this Fall, so will try to get the assembly figured out and working again...

If anyone has a photo of an assembly out of the car so I can compare the layout to mine, that would be great. As you probably know, you can only readily see the passenger side of the assembly, so what's going on on the driver side is a bit of mystery.

Cheers.

Thats is about what I did when it stuck. I pulled the carpeted panel off, sprayed a lot of PB blaster in there and managed to get my hands in there and move the right combo of things. After I got it open I could sort of see that a loose electrical connector had been mashed up jammed in the mechanism. I managed to get some of it out and the tailgate opens and closes now.

All things are burning, know this and be released.

82 Benz 240 D, Kuan Yin
12 Ford Escape 4wd

You're four times
It's hard to
more likely to
concentrate on
have an accident
two things
when you're on
at the same time.
a cell phone.

www.kiva.org It's not like there's anything wrong with feeling good, is there?