View Single Post
Old 08-01-2003, 05:58 AM

So THIS is where old Peugeot lovers go!

I had several 504 gassers--I wish my 240D was as fast.
The ride!---I used to superintend building of houses. We developed a lot of old cornfields. I distinctly remember having to catch my survey crew one day--they were in a Suburban 4X4---picking their way across an old corn field. The corn had been cut and harvested, but there were many furrows. The Suburban couldn't go faster than walking speed or it shook everyone inside too much. I caught them quite easily--driving at 30-40mph with no noticeable discomfort.
I can also remember my first Peugeot test drive. I accidently hit a break in the pavement at too high a speed, and braced myself, wqaiting for the road shock I KNEW was coming. It never came! I was amazed and "accidently" repeated it several more times.
Yes, they corner on their door handles.
I worked on several 504 diesels--replacing head gaskets--that seemed to be their weak point. There was a feature on the injection pumps that I thought was neat--an accumulator was plumbed into the injection circut that acted to retard the timing when at idle. It noticeably quieted the diesel clatter.
Too bad they were saddled by such a poor importer/ distributor.
Also the typically french attitude always seemed to be--"You Americans do not deserve our fine cars--if you behave we may deign to allow you to purchase one"
Remeber the only allowable antifreeze was their antigel at about $7/ Qt!