View Single Post
Old 09-01-2003, 02:06 PM

Question A/C clutch failure

Hi all,

My '87 300D A/C clutch has failed. The rubber in the clutch is visibly shredded as seen from looking down from the top of the engine bay. The compressor can be turned by hand.

This is the 3rd time its happened on this car/compressor. The first time, last year one week before I went on vacation. It was "fixed" under warranty at the shop that did the first work (compressor/clutch dates to 2/02). Then it failed again about 200 miles from home (on a 6400 mile RT roadtrip). Both times, a short, 1 sec or so, high pitched noise was heard. That second time, a more experienced mechanic at the shop repaired it and they said the first time the gap was wrong. This last time, I did not hear the high pitched noise. But in all cases the rubber was destroyed. The car was hit on the passenger side in 2/03 & the fan belt was a bit shredded. The drivers side had no damage. Not sure if that is related in this case.

Any ideas on why this is a repeat problem?

I have searched the archives for information about replacing this clutch and think I can handle that.

Thanks,