View Single Post
Old 09-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Certified diesel nut

Quote:
Originally posted by P.E.Haiges
Warden,

I was thinking the same thing as Mercedesmatt about putting engine oil in the transmission. You wouldn't do that to your car, would you?
As mentioned, I'm not sure if the engine oil is the correct oil for the tranny or not. It actually might be. I spoke with a shop (where I confirmed that the 40 weight was the oil to use in the engine) and they told me that it depended on the model. Some Allison marine gearboxes use ATF, while others use engine oil, according to him. mercedesmatt, can you confirm or deny this? Furthermore, people had been putting engine oil in this tranny ever since the boat was acquired by this program, back before I even thought about getting involved with this unit (I started out with a different unit). They could all have been putting the wrong oil in, but I'm not sure either way. I need to get the model number and look further into it.

Quote:
Originally posted by diesel don
What do you guys do with kids and boats?
The program is called Sea Scouting, and is a division of the Boy Scouts of America (which is ironic in a way; other than me, this unit is all-female). We take kids between 13 and 18 and essentially teach them various maritime skills, including sailing, powerboat handling, navigation, engineering, line-handling, etc. We're also a last-ditch USCG auxiliary; some Sea Scout units were actually called in to patrol off the coast of California during World War II. I used to be part of an all-male unit that runs and maintains an 82' former USCG cutter; the unit I'm with now has the admiral's gig (from the U.S.S. Midway) I mentioned earlier.

PEH, I'll give that a try. We might actually have the timing pins...