View Single Post
Old 12-22-2003, 08:52 PM
Unbanned...?

On a completely different topic, I'd replace the vacuum pump as preventive maintenance ASAP. The original design was flawed, and when they die, they can dump parts into the timing chain and turn your engine into a doorstop. It's not common but it has happened. The new vac pumps are easy to spot, in case yours has already been done... the new type has four Torx-head screws on the front cover, like in this photo:

http://www.meimann.com/images/mercedes/head_gasket/vac_pump1.jpg

I assume the trap oxidizer has been removed (if it came with it - most 86 models didn't), and you'll want to disabled the EGR and ARV immediately. Other than that, watch the temp gauge, it should run at 80-95C most of the time, if it's over 100C you need to fix the cooling system. Fan clutch is a common failure, ditto internal radiator corrosion, assuming the fins are clean and airflow is good. You need to be super careful about this as the 86/87 heads were weak and don't tolerate overheating at all! OK, ok, last tip and I'll shut up. Feed the car synthetic oil (Mobil-1 15W-50) and it will thank you for it. That keeps the hydraulic lifters quiet and has a plethora of other benefits as well.

Congrats on the new, low-miles ride, btw!

Check out my website photos, documents, and movies!