View Single Post
Old 05-31-2004, 12:16 AM
rayxoxo

window went down and stayed down

Hello all;

Well, it is all fixed and working again... With all of your help and encouragement...

I must say that it was much easier to repair than it was to write about...lol

Firstly, I want to thank all of you for your input and help... May that help return to you ten fold...

As to the repair of a downed window on an 1983 300SD, assuming that the other hints have been checked out also:

This is not including what "Benz300" and "JustinMorrison"
have mentioned about the mechanical failure... That is an entirely different problem...

The order of testing is up to the individual... I did it the hard way... lol

1. Check fuses...

2. Check motor with 12V supply, a 2 amp charger was not enough power to activate the motor... 6 amp charger was enough to raise or lower the window... Could also use another battery... (remember to disconnect the motor from the rest of the circuit)... Disconnecting just one wire would probably work...

3. The switches were removed without taking the console apart... With a small screwdriver or a pocket knife... By gently prying on the long ends of the switches and pushing them inward, toward the switches themselves...

You can break them if you are not careful... As you squeeze them in, apply a little lifting power at the same time... They popped right out...

The switches are interchangeable, the right side with the left, etc... So, you can check if it is a switch problem...

After determining that "jrmd01", was the winner, I decided that my choice was to either get a new/used switch or to try fixing the bad one...

I had nothing to lose so I noted that the rocker sw. top button section could be popped open by using a pocket knife...

It came apart fairly easy, but be careful, there are 2 beebee size bearings and springs inside buried in grease... So parts can get lost quite easily...

I found that one of the bearings had slipped out from under one of the loaded springs... Springs are weak, so not to worry...

Put it back together and the switch worked like a champ...

Total cost $0... and 4 gray hairs... ;>)

Hope these notes will help the next in line due for the window woes...

Be of good cheer,
Ray
300SD 83
Dakota 94
50cc trike 2003, single spd automatic
50cc trike 2003, 3pd & reverse automatic
21 spd bike
Legs 1938
;>)