View Single Post
Old 07-25-2004, 03:25 PM
Waitn For The Bus All Day

MB dealership advised...

My problem was not worn out pump. The pump worked fine until I topped it off with ATF like the book says to do. Sure enough the pump started leaking less than a week later, requiring disassembly to replace the main seal which I have not done yet. I did however flush the pump/steering box out with power steering fluid which BTW is what was in it. Using the search I found that todays ATF is completely different from the ATF of yesteryear. I also found that Larry Bible said to replace the pump with one from the junkyard [about $125] when this happens [mistakenly put in ATF]. Also using the search I find that some pumps are fine after reseal and some never pump again. Since Larry himself hasn't answered I guess that means his own experience has been not good with replacing the seals. I guess I'm gonna find out. I got a box of parts with this car and included is, I believe, the seals I need. I guess if your car has ATF in it and it doesn't leak, leave it alone and don't do like I did--fix it so it needs more fixing!! I'll let you know how my rebuild works but will not have timeto work on it until next week.
Happy Trails ,
Bill