View Single Post
Old 10-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Stella!

W123 Corrosion Control and Leak Sealing at Area 51

Took some time over the weekend to address waterleaks in Lilly, SWMBO's 300D. Previously, I'd replaced the windshield gasket, sealed the gasket with 3M recommended automotive windshield sealer and experienced no change in the leaking.

One of the chassis FSMs I have has a long section on resealing body panels after completion of collision repairs. I've discovered that Lilly's PO had been in a couple of smash-ups so I decided to look into the possibility of the panels leaking.

First of all, I discovered that a substantial part of the factory applied panel sealer munge inside the hood hinge pockets was in the process of flaking off and that a fair amount of surface rust had started to form. Additionally, there was a large hole in the very back bottom of the drivers side hinge pocket. This, along with gaps on both the right and left sides next to the firewall and inner fender joint plus, a badly torn wiring grommet on the upper, far right passenger firewall were all potential sources of leaks when driving in the rain.

The first order of business was to execute some corrosion control measures which were done in the form of POR15 applied to all affected surfaces.

After the POR15 dried, I used GE Roofing Sealer (100% silicone) to fill suspicious gaps and holes. I also used silicone sealer to fill in the missing parts of the wiring grommet.

Hopefully, this will cure Lilly's leaks once and for all.
Attached Thumbnails
W123 Corrosion Control and Leak Sealing at Area 51-hingepocket2mu.jpg