View Single Post
Old 12-20-2004, 11:17 AM

About 10 years ago Christine and I said enough of this insanity. We stopped giving and exchanging gifts with everyone. It is stupid to spend hours searching for that gift that someone will graciously receive and thank you for and put in the closet where it will stay until it gets boxed with all the other things going to the donation station. The good feeling of not giving gifts continues through February when you don't notice any additional items on your credit cards. If she and I give each other anything, it is something really wanted or needed. In the past I have given her a new vacuum cleaner and a Beretta semi automatic. She has given me a Makita cordless drill set which she lets me use on her projects. She has also added to my All-Clad collection which she also benefits from. This year she wants a warm scarf and a new pair of house slippers. I want a vegetable peeler, an All-Clad roasting pan, and a new dictionary. My dictionary is an 84 edition and a college version. I'll never get another college version again, because it has come to my attention that college students don't know very many words. Every time I want to check a spelling, the word isn't in there. At any rate some of you should try giving up the madness, It's wonderful. Just think how much time and money you'll save just by not sending greeting cards to your neighbors.

Peter