View Single Post
Old 01-17-2005, 11:00 PM

Talking They ARE worth it!!!

2 years ago I bought a 1980 450SLC 5.0 (the euro with a 5.0 ltr engine) I bought it for $3950 with a little over 250K klicks on it. I have driven it less than 300 miles and am currently at $9000+ and going strong. See my postings regarding euro headlights, auxillary air valves, blower motors etc.
The car was a Tampa FL car that had been sitting for a period of between 1.5 and 3 years. I've never been able to find out the exact amont of time but Iwas told it was run up "occasionally".
Any way, much of what I ran into has been covered in your responses. Particularly with respect to rust. I would underline the advice to replace all fluids, including any gasoline that has been sitting in the tank. Bottom line, VARNISH is one of your car-that-has-been-sitting's greatest potential problems. Also vacume lines(leaks), (get the ether guys) and the fuel delivery system in general, including the intake manifold gaskets and the port sleeves (these are rubber and can deteriorate. I had to rework almost the entire intake and fuel system (ouch) Good Luck these honeys ARE worth it!!!
1980 450SLC 5.0
1988 300SE
1988 560SEC
1988 Lincoln TownCar