View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 04:35 PM

As has been pointed out, the climate control bought from Chrysler was a poor design, it is still cheaper to repair than than flap control system on the early 450s. That system worked by fully opening a hoy water valve mounted on the fire wall as soon as one of the two heater control levers on the dash was moved. Amount of heat to each side of car was controlled by flaps mechanically attached to the levers. That was fine when the cars were new, but as time took its toll, the soft material that held the hinge side of the flap in place deterioated. When you moved the flap to reguate the heat, you realized the flap was bound up. The only fix to the best of my knowledge is to replace the heater box if they are still available. THe dash must be removed to do this and since it has been exposed to the elements as long as the box, it starts breaking apart too. THe whole job can cost you as much as the value of the car. The 380s didn't have these problems and I'm sure most of the simplex chain models have been converted to duplex by now. Although I've never cared for the 107s and have only owned one, I'd still recommend the 380.

Peter