View Single Post
Old 03-08-2005, 02:02 PM

Hey guys. I don't post often here or have time to read often but came across this thread. Good too see more interest in biodiesel.

Not to be nitpicky, but biodiesel is not an additive, it's considered a 'neat fuel' or a full replacement fuel . This is an important distinction especially to homebrewers who wonder what their obligation is tax-wise when they produce their own bio. Some folks have tried to avoid/sneak by the tax requirements by declaring their product a fuel additive. Not sure how that holds up legally.

There is at least one biodiesel specific additive out there that I know of - powerservice's arctic express biodiesel antigel. It's designed to work with b20, and most likely is just a highly concentrated antigel that works on the 20% dino diesel to lower the overall cloud/gel points for the mix. Several folks have used this with blends up to b80 and had success in the winters.

Biodiesel will not increase your power, period. I've run it since 2001 in 3 different diesels and the results are always the same. Regardless of the composition or higher cetane, it's my experience that BTU's are king - and the lower the btu, the lower the mileage.