View Single Post
Old 06-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Dukesdiesel

I checked fuse #14 again by taking it out, starting the engine, and then putting it back in again and trying to start the engine. The result: No fuse-engine starts; fuse in place-engine tries to start but starter won't disengage. Definately seems like there is a short somewhere that involves both the starter and one of the things that are use fuse #14. The things along the path of fuse #14 are (according to the guide on the inside of the fuse box cover):

"back-up lamp, warn. monitor term 8, emission control, horn, switch-over valve overload protection device, relay auxiliary fan term. 86, control unit/water pump/heat. water valve for clim. contr. system, (autom. transm.)"

My Chilton's manual wiring diagrams indicates the back-up warning lights as the only thing that is in the circuit with fuse #14.

Another thing that I noticed today that I should have noticed first off was that the fuse that was originall in the #14 spot was a 16 amp fuse, while the wiring diagrams and fuse designation on the inside of the lid indicate that it should be an 8 amp fuse. I even tried to place an 8 amp fuse in place of the 16 amp, and of course it blew out the first time I tried to start the engine (duh). For some reason, the previous owner was putting a 16 amp fuse where an 8 amp one should go, which makes me think that indeed there have been some alterations in the wiring.

Any ideas?