View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 10:01 AM

I had one of these many years ago. Mine was a '72, 'chocolate grey' (Not sure of the correct name but it almost looked like a lavender color) with a dark brown interior. It had AC and automatic, but curiously, no power steering! Not alot of pep around town with the automatic, especially when the AC was on, but a great highway cruiser. That 4-cylinder 220 engine seemed happier at highway speeds than the 6-cylinder 250 sedan that later replaced it. I spent a year learning and fixing. One thing to look out for on these W114/115 cars is fatigue-cracking of the gas tanks at the top, around the dimple where the guage sending unit is installed. Then they leak gas when the tank is full. I replaced my cracked tank with a good one out of a '75 280, which also increased my fuel capacity from 17 to 20 gallons. My 220 also had a worn steering box and wandered somewhat at highway speeds. I fixed that just before I sold the car, by replacing it with a power steering system out of a junked '70 250C. Perhaps I might have kept that 220 if I could have added a manual tranny too.

Happy Motoring, Mark