Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Monomer's Avatar
Colonel Blitz
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 836
How much boost?

Can a w124 602 take?



It's pegging at 14.5psi now, with the alda adjustment 1 turn from stock. Thats 14.5psi going 85MPH with 3000RPM.

__________________
-1983 VW Rabbit LS Diesel (5speed, VNT/Giles build)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
It can certainly "take" 14.5 psi.

Whether that much boost is actually doing anything is the real question. I've found that anything above 12 psi on the 617 is basically useless. I can't be sure if this is true on the 602, but, I would suspect that it might be.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Monomer's Avatar
Colonel Blitz
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
It can certainly "take" 14.5 psi.

Whether that much boost is actually doing anything is the real question. I've found that anything above 12 psi on the 617 is basically useless. I can't be sure if this is true on the 602, but, I would suspect that it might be.
It's not spooling until 2800rpm, really.

anything under that it gets around 2psi of boost.
__________________
-1983 VW Rabbit LS Diesel (5speed, VNT/Giles build)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomer View Post
It's not spooling until 2800rpm, really.

anything under that it gets around 2psi of boost.
Well, that might be typical of the 602.

I'm referring to the max. boost of 14.5 where the wastegate opens. That figure seems to be more than required, but, it won't hurt anything.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Monomer's Avatar
Colonel Blitz
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
Well, that might be typical of the 602.

I'm referring to the max. boost of 14.5 where the wastegate opens. That figure seems to be more than required, but, it won't hurt anything.
That's what I needed to know.


Thanks, Brian.
__________________
-1983 VW Rabbit LS Diesel (5speed, VNT/Giles build)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-19-2006, 09:04 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Olivet MI
Posts: 225
The older ones shut off the ALDA if boost hit about 1.1 to 1.2 BAR, that might give you a clue. I don't know if the overboost protection kicks in at the same place on a 90-93 or not.
__________________
'79 300SD W116
'86 190E 2.3-16V W201
'92 300D 2.5 W124
'99 E320 4MATIC S210
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-19-2006, 03:41 PM
babymog's Avatar
Loose Cannon - No Balls
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northeast Indiana
Posts: 10,767
I might be reading this wrong, but if you're running 14.5psi boost to maintain 85mph on level ground you've got a problem. You should only see max. boost of 10.5psi under full-acceleration above around 3000rpm and 85mph should be less than 1/2 throttle to maintain.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomer View Post
Can a w124 602 take?



It's pegging at 14.5psi now, with the alda adjustment 1 turn from stock. Thats 14.5psi going 85MPH with 3000RPM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Monomer's Avatar
Colonel Blitz
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymog View Post
I might be reading this wrong, but if you're running 14.5psi boost to maintain 85mph on level ground you've got a problem. You should only see max. boost of 10.5psi under full-acceleration above around 3000rpm and 85mph should be less than 1/2 throttle to maintain.
That's near flooring it, it's peak was 14.5


it may have been uphill, I forget. My father was reading the boost gauge to me - as it's not mounted yet.

__________________
-1983 VW Rabbit LS Diesel (5speed, VNT/Giles build)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page