Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Willing Participant
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,326
Steering Box Versions

The manual says, "On power steering 1st version, the steering locks are on steering arms or on frame cross member. On 2nd version, the locks are in steering housing. The steering is marked by means of an 'A'. NEVER INSTALL 1ST VERSION OF POWER STEERING INSTEAD OF 2ND VERSION"

This new gear box I just got from the remanufacturers doesn't have an A stamped on it, so I figure it is a first version. I sent them an email asking them about it, and they sent me,

"We install internal stops in our boxes so they are all compatible with the later version. You can verify this by checking the number of turns lock to lock on your box versus the box we sent you. They should be the same (within 1/4 turn)."


Sounds great, but I was thinking that the manual was refering to a full-travel steering lock, not a "car off, key out" steering lock.

Does anybody really know the in's and out's of these things? What kind of "steering locks" are we talking about here?

Also, what would happen if one were to install a first version instead of a second?
__________________
1982 300CD Petrol/Black Leather
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Tucker, Ga USA
Posts: 12,153
On the VERY early cars the external steering linkage (steering arm bolted to steering knuckle) had stops that HIT against the FRAME.

On later cars there wasn't any provision for the steering arm to stop movement.
__________________
MERCEDES Benz Master Guild Technician (6 TIMES)
ASE Master Technician
Mercedes Benz Star Technician (2 times)
44 years foreign automotive repair
27 Years M.B. Shop foreman (dealer)
MB technical information Specialist (15 years)
190E 2.3 16V ITS SCCA race car (sold)
1986 190E 2.3 16V 2.5 (sold)
Retired Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Shawn D.'s Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983/300CD View Post
This new gear box I just got from the remanufacturers doesn't have an A stamped on it, so I figure it is a first version. I sent them an email asking them about it, and they sent me,

"We install internal stops in our boxes so they are all compatible with the later version. You can verify this by checking the number of turns lock to lock on your box versus the box we sent you. They should be the same (within 1/4 turn)."

Sounds great, but I was thinking that the manual was refering to a full-travel steering lock, not a "car off, key out" steering lock.

What kind of "steering locks" are we talking about here?
One has nothing to do with the other. The internal stops in the steering box only limit end travel and have nothing to do with locking the steering in position when the key is removed. The latter function is handled by mechanisms in the steering column and ignition lock assembly.

Since you were asking the remanufacturer about a steering box, it's pretty obvious that they were talking about the steering box internal stops, not the "car off, key out" steering lock. Additionally, applying "... verify this by checking the number of turns lock to lock on your box versus the box we sent you. They should be the same (within 1/4 turn)" makes no sense with regard to the "car off, key out" steering lock.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Willing Participant
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn D. View Post
One has nothing to do with the other. The internal stops in the steering box only limit end travel and have nothing to do with locking the steering in position when the key is removed. The latter function is handled by mechanisms in the steering column and ignition lock assembly.

Since you were asking the remanufacturer about a steering box, it's pretty obvious that they were talking about the steering box internal stops, not the "car off, key out" steering lock. Additionally, applying "... verify this by checking the number of turns lock to lock on your box versus the box we sent you. They should be the same (within 1/4 turn)" makes no sense with regard to the "car off, key out" steering lock.

Exactly what I was thinking.
I am going to exchange for one with the correct markings.

I can only believe that the lock I could be "verifying...within 1/4 turn" would be the anti-theft "car off, key out" lock which isn't in the steering box.

Thanks
__________________
1982 300CD Petrol/Black Leather

Last edited by 1983/300CD; 03-07-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada.
Posts: 6,510
Wait a minute. The hand test of your box should be enough. It just limits your turns of the steering wheel so it stops at some point on each side of centre. The salesman is right I think. It also has nothing what so ever to do with your steering wheel lock up.
If those internal stops where not in there or external ones did not exist you could turn your steering wheel continiously in one direction if it was not hooked up. Again if you turn it to one side it should stop after a few turns. When you turn it the otherway it should also reach a stop. Just stop and think about it for a minute or two.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Willing Participant
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,326
The full travel back and forth will be more than 1/4 turn.

That 1/4 turn of the gearbox might be the allowable slop which translates to 1" at the wheel.

I think I would have to get out the vice grips to actually turn it and move the gears inside.
__________________
1982 300CD Petrol/Black Leather
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Shawn D.'s Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983/300CD View Post
I can only believe that the lock I could be "verifying...within 1/4 turn" would be the anti-theft "car off, key out" lock which isn't in the steering box.
Do you know what "number of turns lock-to-lock" means? It means you turn all the way to one side until the steering hits a stop. Now, turn the opposite way until you hit the other stop and note how many turns it took to do so. So, if you find it takes 4 turns to go lock-to-lock, then they are saying their box will be within 3.75 to 4.25 turns.

Forget about the anti-theft "car off, key out" lock, OK?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Willing Participant
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,326
Ah, I read that wrong. He said that both boxes should have the same number of turns all the way right to all the way left (or at least really close). Not that it will lock after 1/4 turn.

Thank you for pointing that out to me. I read it wrong once and kept that in my head. I had in my mind that 1/4 turn is all I will get out of it.
__________________
1982 300CD Petrol/Black Leather
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Shawn D.'s Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 509
I'm glad you got it figured out! This was going down the "I know you think you understand what you thought you heard me say, but what you think you heard me say is not really what I meant." route.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Willing Participant
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,326
Well, I've got that bad flu thing that's going around the East coast and I'm not really all here today either.
__________________
1982 300CD Petrol/Black Leather
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page