Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 02-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by haromaster87 View Post

Also, I have one of the smaller stock Bosch alternators that I had bought just a couple months before I bought the AL129X unit. It's still sitting in my garage and has hardly any miles on it. After looking at these 2 units, it looks like they might use the same Voltage Regulator. Would anyone know anything about that?

Thanks!

-Tony
It could work. They have the same shape.
__________________
'85 300D Cal 280,000 miles
'07 C230 37,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Valrico, Florida
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
Is your AL129X new or used? Does it use the plug in connector or hard wired?
It was bought as new or remanufactured, can't remember. But it was from an Ebay place so no telling the quality of the regulator they put in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my123ca View Post
It could work. They have the same shape.
I suppose this is right, but I've already got the new one ordered and it was cheap enough.
__________________
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300D
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-01-2013, 03:21 PM
funola's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by haromaster87 View Post
It was bought as new or remanufactured, can't remember. But it was from an Ebay place so no telling the quality of the regulator they put in.
Are the belts tight and tensioned correctly? Does not sound like a regulator since it is a new or rebuilt unit which should have a regulator with new brushes.

When you had the fluctuating voltages, were there any relay clicking sound? Could be a malfunctioning glow plug relay pulling the voltage down.
__________________
85 300D turbo pristine w 157k when purchased 161K now
83 300 D turbo 297K runs great. SOLD!
83 240D 4 spd manual- parted out then junked
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Valrico, Florida
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
Are the belts tight and tensioned correctly? Does not sound like a regulator since it is a new or rebuilt unit which should have a regulator with new brushes.

When you had the fluctuating voltages, were there any relay clicking sound? Could be a malfunctioning glow plug relay pulling the voltage down.
I would have thought so too, but are there any other components in a voltage regulator that can fail besides the brushes?


And that is a good idea, but I did not hear any clicks. Although I'm not sure that I would've been able to hear the clicks over the engine. However, that wouldn't explain that at this time the issue of the fluctuating voltage has not happened and now the issue is the volt meter being at 14v non stop. As I said, it would go between 12.5v at idle and hit a high of 14v at certain engine speeds. I don't know a great deal about voltage regulators, but if one was failing, would it have issues regulating voltage?
__________________
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300D
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Graplr's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 1,577
In my experience, a flickering glow plug relay turns on the dash glow plug light.

It does sound like a bad connection somewhere but you have stated that you checked and cleaned all the connections, so you likely can rule that out.

How did you determine that the volt gauge was working? If it were me, next I would check the voltage with a different meter when the gauge was flickering. You can get one to plug into your cigarette lighter cheap. where is your gauge connected? It could be a loose connection on the gauge that shows up at idle when the engine is shaking.
__________________
2004 E320 Wagon

Past Mercedes
1979 300TD
1982 300TD
2000 E320 4Matic Wagon
1998 E430
1984 300SD
1980 300SD
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-01-2013, 04:45 PM
funola's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by haromaster87 View Post
I would have thought so too, but are there any other components in a voltage regulator that can fail besides the brushes?


And that is a good idea, but I did not hear any clicks. Although I'm not sure that I would've been able to hear the clicks over the engine. However, that wouldn't explain that at this time the issue of the fluctuating voltage has not happened and now the issue is the volt meter being at 14v non stop. As I said, it would go between 12.5v at idle and hit a high of 14v at certain engine speeds. I don't know a great deal about voltage regulators, but if one was failing, would it have issues regulating voltage?
There is a resistor and a solid state device in the regulator that can go bad. That seldom happens unless abused, such as revering polarity or exceeding it's rating in V and A overheating it.

14 V is normal charging voltage (13.4 to 14.4). 12.5 is not. Have you had the battery tested?
__________________
85 300D turbo pristine w 157k when purchased 161K now
83 300 D turbo 297K runs great. SOLD!
83 240D 4 spd manual- parted out then junked
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Valrico, Florida
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
There is a resistor and a solid state device in the regulator that can go bad. That seldom happens unless abused, such as revering polarity or exceeding it's rating in V and A overheating it.

14 V is normal charging voltage (13.4 to 14.4). 12.5 is not. Have you had the battery tested?
Ah I see. I wonder if one of those failed.

And yeah the battery is brand new actually. I'll have it tested. But based on the performance of it, I suspect battery is fine. The alternator has a smaller pulley on it which was necessary to fit it. And I don't know that 12.5v was the exact voltage at idle. Was likely closer to 13v, it's just now consistently sitting higher than it did before. It used to charge a higher voltage as the engine speeds increased and would max at about 14v, but now it just hits 14v at idle and just stays.
__________________
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300D
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-01-2013, 05:10 PM
funola's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by haromaster87 View Post
Ah I see. I wonder if one of those failed.

And yeah the battery is brand new actually. I'll have it tested. But based on the performance of it, I suspect battery is fine. The alternator has a smaller pulley on it which was necessary to fit it. And I don't know that 12.5v was the exact voltage at idle. Was likely closer to 13v, it's just now consistently sitting higher than it did before. It used to charge a higher voltage as the engine speeds increased and would max at about 14v, but now it just hits 14v at idle and just stays.
If your battery is new, and you had this issue: "Then at random it would go crazy and jump between what looks like about 11-15 volts, and it would jump back and forth and the lights would dim and brighten until I applied a bit of throttle, then it would smooth out."

The lights should not dim or brighten with a good fully charged battery and blipping the throttle should not do that. Sounds like a wiring problem- bad grounds for the lights maybe. Which lights was doing that? Cluster or headlights?
__________________
85 300D turbo pristine w 157k when purchased 161K now
83 300 D turbo 297K runs great. SOLD!
83 240D 4 spd manual- parted out then junked
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Silber Adler's Avatar
Silver Eagle
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Living on a gravel road in a Red State
Posts: 593
I think you have it. The battery wouldn't jump up and down on voltage if the alternator or regulator was kicking in or out. The battery would decrease very gradually over seconds if the alternator was flickering. It would stay about 11.5-12.5 depending on the load on it. I doubt if the voltage would change fast.

Has the gauge been tested. A loose wire there can make it move very quickly. Have you verified the system voltage with another VOM?

It is interesting to see the variety of thoughtful answers that you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
If your battery is new, and you had this issue: "Then at random it would go crazy and jump between what looks like about 11-15 volts, and it would jump back and forth and the lights would dim and brighten until I applied a bit of throttle, then it would smooth out."

The lights should not dim or brighten with a good fully charged battery and blipping the throttle should not do that. Sounds like a wiring problem- bad grounds for the lights maybe. Which lights was doing that? Cluster or headlights?
__________________
85 Merc 300D - Unwinding 31 years of wear
86 VW TD
Mahindra Diesel
Iseki Diesel

In 2007 I didn't own a diesel.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Valrico, Florida
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
If your battery is new, and you had this issue: "Then at random it would go crazy and jump between what looks like about 11-15 volts, and it would jump back and forth and the lights would dim and brighten until I applied a bit of throttle, then it would smooth out."

The lights should not dim or brighten with a good fully charged battery and blipping the throttle should not do that. Sounds like a wiring problem- bad grounds for the lights maybe. Which lights was doing that? Cluster or headlights?

It was the headlights. That is all a good point though. I mean, the light flicker was minimal, like the difference between the lights running of just battery or off alternator. As if the alternator was coming and going. I'm going to recheck all my cables again.
__________________
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300D
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Diesel911's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Beach,CA
Posts: 24,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
Is your AL129X new or used? Does it use the plug in connector or hard wired?
The AL129x is hard wired.

I think it is the 80 amp one like Eagleautoelectric sells on dBay that can use the stock Connector.
__________________
84 300D, 82 Volvo 244Gl Diesel
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Fattyman's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 539
I'd be happy with 14 volts myself!
__________________
'70 F100 shortbed
'82 Diesel Westy
'83 Euro 300TD
Curtlo Viper
Yeti ARC
Surly long haul trucker
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page