Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 08-16-2018, 09:25 PM
Skid Row Joe's Avatar
PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: DONALD J. TRUMP'S AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL!
Posts: 6,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstech View Post
Hmmmmm. I wouldn't be concerned with keeping up the aux battery. Once you have verified the model trickle charger you have will be safe on your vehicle, I'd just keep the main battery peaked.
THX!

Got the $11.99 Battery Tender from Walmart Automotive Center.

Are there contact points under the hood of the 06 E320 CDI, without attaching in the trunk cavity?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-22-2018, 07:04 PM
Control Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 3,206
Not on my 2nd gen 2008 E320 with the OM642. Manual shows going across the battery in the trunk to jump it.

I always thought that the rule was you made the last connection as the - of the dead car to to the chassis and not to the battery. The thought is that is where it will spark and you don’t want to light off any hydrogen that may be coming off the battery.

But the manual shows battery to battery. It does say to make the last connection at the E320’s battery, probably due to the fact that it is a sealed battery with a vent tube, so it does not emit hydrogen into the area around the terminals.
__________________
2014 ML350 Bluetec (wife's DD)
2008 E320 Bluetec (my DD)
2008 ML320 CDI (Older son's college DD)
1998 E300DT (Younger son's college DD)
1987 300TD sold to vstech
----------
gone but living on
1983 240D (body to greazzer, engine to t walgamuth)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-22-2018, 06:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oberlin, OH
Posts: 478
Exclamation Do not use a cheap charger on your MB Diesel!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe View Post
THX!

Got the $11.99 Battery Tender from Walmart Automotive Center.

Are there contact points under the hood of the 06 E320 CDI, without attaching in the trunk cavity?
STOP....do not use a cheap battery charger on these vehicles! After a bunch of research, it seems cheap chargers are just that....cheap! You run the risk of them malfunctioning and frying your battery and/or electronics.

MB approved chargers are made by CTEK which is a Swedish company that manufactures chargers. CTEK makes a lot of different models and you have to make sure and get one rated to handle the large batteries our diesel's have (> 95 Ah).

I found this one to be the correct size and this was the best priced new one I could find after going to a bunch of sites (seller also shipped it quickly):

CTEK charger suitable in size for our MB diesel batteries: MUS 4.3

This charger comes with two connection method's: clamps and eye rings. For the E320 CDI (or any vehicle with difficult to reach battery in trunk), I recommend hooking up the eye rings to the battery post bolts and snaking the wire out to a convenient place in the trunk. You then just connect the charger to the wall, connect the charger to the connection point (after removing the rubber protective cap), and then set the charger to charge.

Warning: do not run the "Reconditioning mode" with the charger connected to a battery and vehicle due to the higher voltage used. The newer diesels have very sensitive electronics and electrical systems! This mode might shorten the life span of electrical system of car.

The CTEK unit I purchased is very well made and thought out. I can see why MB approves of these!

The newer MB's use quite a bit of energy even when not running and this puts a lot of strain on the batteries. If you leave your newer vehicle for any length of time, using one of these occasionally or leave it on while in storage. Makes a lot of sense. You will be rewarded with a car that is always ready to start and you will get longer battery life.

Since I leave my CDI stored in the winter and it is cold here, I think this charger will pay for itself the first year of ownership.


-- Chris
__________________
-- Chris

'95 E300, 216k miles, Silver Surfer
'05 E320 CDI, 138k miles
'07 S550 4matic, 69k miles

Gone but not forgotten:

'76 300D, 350k miles?, SOLD in 1995
'75 240D, 300k miles, SOLD in 1991

Last edited by chronometers; 09-22-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-22-2018, 07:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Barrington, RI
Posts: 5,414
Chris,

Thanks for this post and the research you did. For a number of years I have used a Battery Tender Plus, which has always seemed to work well with various diesels. Any reason to believe this is not a good choice? I do notice that the CTEK has a higher current capacity, which of course would be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronometers View Post
STOP....do not use a cheap battery charger on these vehicles! After a bunch of research, it seems cheap chargers are just that....cheap! You run the risk of them malfunctioning and frying your battery and/or electronics.

MB approved chargers are made by CTEK which is a Swedish company that manufactures chargers. CTEK makes a lot of different models and you have to make sure and get one rated to handle the large batteries our diesel's have (> 95 Ah).

I found this one to be the correct size and this was the best priced new one I could find after going to a bunch of sites (seller also shipped it quickly):

CTEK charger suitable in size for our MB diesel batteries: MUS 4.3

This charger comes with two connection method's: clamps and eye rings. For the E320 CDI (or any vehicle with difficult to reach battery in trunk), I recommend hooking up the eye rings to the battery post bolts and snaking the wire out to a convenient place in the trunk. You then just connect the charger to the wall, connect the charger to the connection point (after removing the rubber protective cap, and then set the charger to charge.

Warning: do not run the Reconditioning mode with the charger connected to a battery and vehicle due to the higher voltage used. The newer diesels have very sensitive electronics and electrical systems! This mode might shorten the life span of electrical system of car.

The CTEK unit I purchased is very well made and thought out. I can see why MB approves of these!

The newer MB's use quite a bit of energy even when not running and this puts a lot of strain on the batteries. If you leave your newer vehicle for any length of time, using one of these occasionally or leave it on while in storage. Makes a lot of sense. You will be rewarded with a car that is always ready to start and you will get longer battery life.

Since I leave my CDI stored in the winter and it is cold here, I think this charger will pay for itself the first year of ownership.


-- Chris
__________________
06 E320 CDI "Benson", Platinum Blue, 173k mi
06 E320 CDI "Rutherford", Black, 143k mi
91 300D "Otis", Smoke Silver, 128k mi
98 E300 "Murray", Silver, 128k mi, Stage 2 Rocketchip chip tuned, under son's care

Twelve other MB's owned and sold
2002 Honda Odyssey 241k mi (want to name it "Homer," wife won't let me)
1961 Very Tolerant Wife
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-22-2018, 10:54 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oberlin, OH
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by shertex View Post
Chris,

Thanks for this post and the research you did. For a number of years I have used a Battery Tender Plus, which has always seemed to work well with various diesels. Any reason to believe this is not a good choice? I do notice that the CTEK has a higher current capacity, which of course would be better.
Not sure of Battery Tender Plus but the CTEK would be a good unit if you do not already have a charger. My E320 CDI's battery died last winter while in storage. Check the specs. of the battery tender to make sure it will charge a battery the size of the battery in the diesels you are using. The E320 CDI from 2005-6 use a 95Ah AGM battery.
__________________
-- Chris

'95 E300, 216k miles, Silver Surfer
'05 E320 CDI, 138k miles
'07 S550 4matic, 69k miles

Gone but not forgotten:

'76 300D, 350k miles?, SOLD in 1995
'75 240D, 300k miles, SOLD in 1991
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-24-2018, 06:29 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Barrington, RI
Posts: 5,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronometers View Post
Not sure of Battery Tender Plus but the CTEK would be a good unit if you do not already have a charger. My E320 CDI's battery died last winter while in storage. Check the specs. of the battery tender to make sure it will charge a battery the size of the battery in the diesels you are using. The E320 CDI from 2005-6 use a 95Ah AGM battery.
It says it works with all AGM batteries. But as it's 1.25A, it may just take longer.
__________________
06 E320 CDI "Benson", Platinum Blue, 173k mi
06 E320 CDI "Rutherford", Black, 143k mi
91 300D "Otis", Smoke Silver, 128k mi
98 E300 "Murray", Silver, 128k mi, Stage 2 Rocketchip chip tuned, under son's care

Twelve other MB's owned and sold
2002 Honda Odyssey 241k mi (want to name it "Homer," wife won't let me)
1961 Very Tolerant Wife
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-24-2018, 11:11 AM
gsxr's Avatar
Unbanned...?
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 7,989
Chris is correct, a cheap charger (particularly a no-name / offbrand) is always risky. CTEK makes good chargers. I have a CTEK MUS 4.3 and it works nicely (link).

I also have several Pulse Tech Xtreme Chargers which are chargers / maintainers / desfulators, similar to most of the higher-end CTEK. One thing I like about the Xtreme Charge is that it will desulfate (pulse) during the charge cycle, where the CTEK will not begine to desulfate / pulse until several days after full charge is reached.

https://www.amazon.com/Pulsetech-Xtreme-Auto-Charger-Black/dp/B00BPF0Y64

YMMV, etc...

__________________
Dave M.
Boise, ID

1997 E420 - 155kmi (Bugeyes)
1994 E420 - 145kmi (Blondie)
1993 500E - 193kmi (Lollipop)
1992 400E - 189kmi (Stinky Dirty)
Check out my website photos, documents, and movies!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page