Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-07-2018, 08:39 PM
jake12tech's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,746
city mpg e300 low or not?

My GFs 98 e300 is running low mpg city. About 21mpg city and she drives very, very conservative. The car doesn't shift over 2500rpm when she drives. The car is supposed to do at least 25 city I thought. it has 260k, no fuel leaks good filters. I maintain the car well. My 99 does 24-25 city..

any ideas?

__________________
1999 E300 220k
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-07-2018, 08:55 PM
Diseasel300's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 4,915
Tires? Alignment? Brakes dragging? 4mpg difference is a small enough gap that it could simply be down to driving habits. Constant throttle vs a hunting throttle can net you 3-4mpg right there. So even though she's driving slow, if she's feathering the throttle, out goes your mpg right there. Torque converter locking up properly? FWIW, I average 23-24mpg in my SDL, I'd expect the W210 to do better.
__________________
'11 Honda Accord EX - "The Daily" 69K
'83 500SL Euro - "The Money Pit" 116K
'91 350SD - "Diseasel Jr." 173K
'94 BMW 530i Touring - "BMWtf LoLwagen" 233k
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-07-2018, 08:59 PM
Hogweed's Avatar
Watching SB LII every day
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: in the back of beyond a.k.a. Pa.
Posts: 2,850
i did a trip in philly a couple weeks back (all city driving) and found my mileage around 23, which i thought was low
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake12tech View Post
My GFs 98 e300 is running low mpg city. About 21mpg city and she drives very, very conservative. The car doesn't shift over 2500rpm when she drives. The car is supposed to do at least 25 city I thought. it has 260k, no fuel leaks good filters. I maintain the car well. My 99 does 24-25 city..

any ideas?
__________________
0o==o0

James 4:8

"...let us put aside the blindness of mind of those who can conceive of nothing higher than what is known through the senses"
-Saint Gregory Palamas, ---Discourse on the Holy Transfiguration of Our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ


Centrally located in North East Central Pa.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-07-2018, 09:30 PM
jake12tech's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseasel300 View Post
Tires? Alignment? Brakes dragging? 4mpg difference is a small enough gap that it could simply be down to driving habits. Constant throttle vs a hunting throttle can net you 3-4mpg right there. So even though she's driving slow, if she's feathering the throttle, out goes your mpg right there. Torque converter locking up properly? FWIW, I average 23-24mpg in my SDL, I'd expect the W210 to do better.
yeah as far as I know the trans was replaced a few years back. the alignment is out, I did the toe on it but didn't do caster or camber and I did put two calipers on it cause it sat for awhile before I got it like two years. she goes thru a lot of stop and go on her commute to work. red light to red light and she babies back into the gas and keeps it steady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogweed View Post
i did a trip in philly a couple weeks back (all city driving) and found my mileage around 23, which i thought was low
23 isn't too bad depends on your throttle.. I remember hearing your car run, it had that little clack to it for a few seconds on startup.. usually when the injectors start leaking and the nozzles are old, they get more clack. might be why you're running little bit lower than my car. my car has had 3 sets of injectors .. how's that gold e320 running?
__________________
1999 E300 220k
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-07-2018, 10:34 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The slums of Beverly Hills
Posts: 6,164
LOL I've done 17mpg in the E300D driving around San Francisco.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-07-2018, 10:40 PM
#TRUMP2020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 790
worn out injectors? conventional wisdom says they're due for a rebuild every 100k miles or so.

clogged intake manifold? 260k miles of ccv and egr can make for a constricted sludged up intake.

dry wheel bearings? the front bearings in particular seem to need replacing on these cars about every 150k miles. brand new w210 front bearings/hubs come with a tiny blob of grease in them, i always repack them before installing, using only the neon snot colored genuine mb bearing grease, it's excellent.
__________________
1998 E300 turbodiesel

America's Rights and Freedoms Are Not The Enemy!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-07-2018, 10:55 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: N. TX
Posts: 180
Use Kreen 500 miles before your next oil change, I did that both in my tank and engine on my OM606. I just can't brag enough about Kreen, the injector knock were gone and the oil (drained) came out like gooey tar.
__________________
06 MB E320 CDI 111k miles
14 Sienna (wife's DD) 36k miles
11 GL350 Bluetec 136k (Sold)
96 E300; 292k+ miles (Donated)
11 Sprinter 22K+ miles (Sold)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-07-2018, 11:03 PM
jake12tech's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
LOL I've done 17mpg in the E300D driving around San Francisco.
that's awful. What did you spend like multiple hours idling in traffic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by torsionbar View Post
worn out injectors? conventional wisdom says they're due for a rebuild every 100k miles or so.

clogged intake manifold? 260k miles of ccv and egr can make for a constricted sludged up intake.

dry wheel bearings? the front bearings in particular seem to need replacing on these cars about every 150k miles. brand new w210 front bearings/hubs come with a tiny blob of grease in them, i always repack them before installing, using only the neon snot colored genuine mb bearing grease, it's excellent.
cleaned that intake after I did the glow plugs. restored a lot of power. maybe the injectors do leak or something. I put used ones in it. I bought it with misfiring cylinders from lazy injectors. wheel bearings feel tight and wheel slides nice and easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alipak View Post
Use Kreen 500 miles before your next oil change, I did that both in my tank and engine on my OM606. I just can't brag enough about Kreen, the injector knock were gone and the oil (drained) came out like gooey tar.
keen? that stuff worries me putting in your oil. I'd be afraid it washes stuff away it isn't supposed to. if your car came out gooey and tarry that tells me your car has missed a lot of oil changes
__________________
1999 E300 220k
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-07-2018, 11:54 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: N. TX
Posts: 180
Nope all oil change done around 7.5k usually Rotella Synthetic but the car had almost 300k miles. Your gas mileage would increase too.
__________________
06 MB E320 CDI 111k miles
14 Sienna (wife's DD) 36k miles
11 GL350 Bluetec 136k (Sold)
96 E300; 292k+ miles (Donated)
11 Sprinter 22K+ miles (Sold)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-08-2018, 12:13 AM
jake12tech's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by alipak View Post
Nope all oil change done around 7.5k usually Rotella Synthetic but the car had almost 300k miles. Your gas mileage would increase too.
hmmm interesting. I'll have to give it a shot but it scares me. if it's such a strong detergent, Id worry it would wash away bearing surfaces etc. Mobil 1 synthetic cured my noisy lifters on my daily driver.. I had a nice tick when I got the car and 0w40 fixed it after 4k
__________________
1999 E300 220k
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-08-2018, 12:20 AM
t walgamuth's Avatar
dieselarchitect
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 34,742
OP mileages sounds about right for a diesel. Very high if your car is a gasser.
__________________
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-08-2018, 12:54 AM
rmasteller's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lithopolis, Ohio
Posts: 639
To eliminate driving techniques, swap cars for a month.
__________________
Rodd
www.mbca.org - www.sl113.org - www.ohio4x4.com
NOW: 2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 1997 E300D, 1966 230SL, 1980 450SL (for sale!)
PAST: 2006 C230, 1994 E420, 1994 Neon, 1983 Celica GT, 1984 300ZX, 1976 Electra Limited, 1984 Honda Nighthawk 650, 1979 Suzuki PE175
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-08-2018, 08:45 AM
tdoublenastywitit's Avatar
Rule #1, don't freak out.
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmasteller View Post
To eliminate driving techniques, swap cars for a month.
Yes x2
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-08-2018, 09:11 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Barrington, RI
Posts: 5,521
FWIW our average mpg on the 98 E300 is 26.5. Best tankful I every got (all highway) was 30.6. And everything is in perfect working order. So there's nothing unusual about low 20's for all city driving.

Not sure where you got the impression of at least 25 city. There some people who boast of 35-38 highway on these cars...I just don't believe it.
__________________
06 E320 CDI "Benson", Platinum Blue, 176k mi
06 E320 CDI "Rutherford", Black, 149k mi
91 300D "Otis", Smoke Silver, 130k mi
98 E300 "Murray", Silver, 133k mi, Stage 2 Rocketchip chip tuned (FOR SALE)

Twelve other MB's owned and sold
2002 Honda Odyssey 260k mi (want to name it "Homer," wife won't let me)
1961 Very Tolerant Wife
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-08-2018, 09:18 AM
vstech's Avatar
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mount Holly, NC
Posts: 26,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake12tech View Post
hmmm interesting. I'll have to give it a shot but it scares me. if it's such a strong detergent, Id worry it would wash away bearing surfaces etc. Mobil 1 synthetic cured my noisy lifters on my daily driver.. I had a nice tick when I got the car and 0w40 fixed it after 4k
Big problem with oil change chemicals is the oil cooler and associated hardware keeps a percentage in the motor...

Best practice is change oil regularly...

Leave the chemicals on the shelf.

__________________
John HAUL AWAY, OR CRUSHED CARS!!! HELP ME keep the cars out of the crusher! A/C Thread
"as I ride with my a/c on... I have fond memories of sweaty oily saturdays and spewing R12 into the air. THANKS for all you do!

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page