Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-07-2007, 05:24 AM
Vronsky's Avatar
Enemy combatant
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Amsterdam, Old Europe
Posts: 841
'No end in sight'

Fella's,
Go see this recent documentary if you can: 'No end in sight'
Here's what IMDB has to say about it:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0912593/

Cheers,
V.

__________________
2011 Prius
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 41,573
Vronsky! I'll be darned.

Still promoting propaganda, I see.

B
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-08-2007, 01:58 AM
Gurkha's Avatar
Satyameva Jayate Ad vitam
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boondocks
Posts: 1,026
Its another perspective, propaganda to some is fact for others and vice versa. Least give it a chance before censoring it or condemning it as propaganda. If it doesn't suit one's agenda, doesn't necessarily mean its propaganda.
__________________
99 Gurkha with OM616 IDI turbo

2015 Gurkha with OM616 DI turbo

2014 Rexton W with OM612 VGT
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-08-2007, 03:37 AM
rickg's Avatar
User friendly
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Utah!!
Posts: 4,494
uh-huh! Is too!
__________________
past MB rides:
'68 220D
'68 220D(another one)
'67 230
'84 SD
Current rides:
'06 Lexus RX330
'93 Ford F-250
'96 Corvette
'99 Polaris 700 RMK sled
2011 Polaris Assault
'86 Yamaha TT350(good 'ol thumper)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-08-2007, 06:43 AM
Gurkha's Avatar
Satyameva Jayate Ad vitam
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boondocks
Posts: 1,026
Correct, everything is propaganda regardless, all have an agenda and thats normal, point is what suits one's point of view.
__________________
99 Gurkha with OM616 IDI turbo

2015 Gurkha with OM616 DI turbo

2014 Rexton W with OM612 VGT
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-08-2007, 07:34 AM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 41,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Its another perspective, propaganda to some is fact for others and vice versa. Least give it a chance before censoring it or condemning it as propaganda. If it doesn't suit one's agenda, doesn't necessarily mean its propaganda.
Nah, propaganda is easy to recognize. You take facts combined with conjecture and string them together in a way that is plausible then use it to make an emotional appeal.

This thing that Vronsky provides is exactly that kind of storytelling.

B
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Gurkha's Avatar
Satyameva Jayate Ad vitam
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boondocks
Posts: 1,026
So if it doesn't fit your agenda, its storytelling, whatever is opposing your point of view is a conjecture and whatever you say is etched in Gold, kind of condescending isn't it. If you don't allow an opposing viewpoint and try to censure it prematurely before it has even had a chance for others to absorb, how do you expect a healthy democracy to survive may I ask? In your case, it has to be in your docket or nothing else.

As for storytelling, everyone in the entire globe is into yarn and that makes it go around, point is one to discern oneself from it every which way possible. All the so called storytelling is the reason why the world today is a bafangu place to be in.
__________________
99 Gurkha with OM616 IDI turbo

2015 Gurkha with OM616 DI turbo

2014 Rexton W with OM612 VGT
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 41,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
So if it doesn't fit your agenda, its storytelling,....
Who said anything about fitting an agenda? I described propaganda.

B
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Gurkha's Avatar
Satyameva Jayate Ad vitam
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boondocks
Posts: 1,026
Yep, all propaganda fits an agenda, point being which one suits you.
__________________
99 Gurkha with OM616 IDI turbo

2015 Gurkha with OM616 DI turbo

2014 Rexton W with OM612 VGT
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 41,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Yep, all propaganda fits an agenda, point being which one suits you.
Yes of course, that's the whole point, isn't it?

Failure to recognize propaganda simply because it appeals to one's own interests is foolish.

B
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Gurkha's Avatar
Satyameva Jayate Ad vitam
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boondocks
Posts: 1,026
Since everything is propaganda in one form or other, all with their own purpose, subverting one for other just because it doesn't fit the perceived point of view is form of censorship.
__________________
99 Gurkha with OM616 IDI turbo

2015 Gurkha with OM616 DI turbo

2014 Rexton W with OM612 VGT
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 41,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Since everything is propaganda in one form or other, all with their own purpose, subverting one for other just because it doesn't fit the perceived point of view is form of censorship.
Can you defend the assertion, that "everything is propaganda in one form or other"?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-08-2007, 09:24 AM
t walgamuth's Avatar
dieselarchitect
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 35,776
I don't agree that everything is propoganda.

Tom W
__________________
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Gurkha's Avatar
Satyameva Jayate Ad vitam
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boondocks
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
Can you defend the assertion, that "everything is propaganda in one form or other"?

Yep in the same way you can discern whats propaganda. Its a matter of relative perception, nothing else.

For instance anti war and pro war are both propaganda serving their own purpose. Based in interpretation, one decides whats right and wrong.
__________________
99 Gurkha with OM616 IDI turbo

2015 Gurkha with OM616 DI turbo

2014 Rexton W with OM612 VGT
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 41,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Yep in the same way you can discern whats propaganda. Its a matter of relative perception, nothing else.
Look at the definition that I offered. If the information that you're evaluating does not conform to that, then it is not propaganda.

If everything is relative perception then you enter a solipsist nightmare world.

B

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page