Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Pete Geither's Avatar
Half Fast Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Western Pa.
Posts: 2,417
Got a home generator

After living in the boondocks for 37 years with no emergency power,,,, last year finally did the trick. 3 power outages, with one being 4 days. Wasn't too hard to convince the wife we needed a generator. So I have been looking and finally settled on a Generac 15K portable. Bought it online on saturday and it was delivered today. Could not believe the quick service, price and quality of the machine. Has a V twin, 30 HP engine which started instantly and appears to be able to do what we need. The electrician is coming later in the week to put in a transfer switch so we can operate safely and not put anyone else in danger. Will probably never lose power again.

__________________
95 SL500 Smoke Silver, Parchment 64K
07 E350 4matic Station Wagon White 34K
02 E320 4Matic Silver/grey 80K
05 F150 Silver 44K
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Inna-propriate-da-vida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,907
What, no 240D conversion to home generator?
__________________
On some nights I still believe that a car with the fuel gauge on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. - HST

1983 300SD - 305000
1984 Toyota Landcruiser - 190000
1994 GMC Jimmy - 203000

https://media.giphy.com/media/X3nnss8PAj5aU/giphy.gif
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Medmech's Avatar
Gone Waterboarding
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 117
Your power will never go out again! After I installed my generator the power has not gone out for more than 1 hour, pre-generator its was days.

The transfer switch installs easily if you bought the kit and remember the yearly services they will always fail when you need them, are you running gas or lp?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 PM
jplinville's Avatar
Conservative
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio region
Posts: 302
I lived through pure hell for 11 days in Ohio last year when Ike decided to grace us with his presence. I made sure that the house in Utah had a working generator before I agreed to look at it.
__________________
1987 560SL
85,000 miles




Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-15-2009, 05:14 AM
Pete Geither's Avatar
Half Fast Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Western Pa.
Posts: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medmech View Post
Your power will never go out again! After I installed my generator the power has not gone out for more than 1 hour, pre-generator its was days.

The transfer switch installs easily if you bought the kit and remember the yearly services they will always fail when you need them, are you running gas or lp?
Gasoline.
__________________
95 SL500 Smoke Silver, Parchment 64K
07 E350 4matic Station Wagon White 34K
02 E320 4Matic Silver/grey 80K
05 F150 Silver 44K
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-15-2009, 10:14 AM
pawoSD's Avatar
Dieselsüchtiger
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 15,241
Why a gasoline generator? Gas doesn't do well with sitting long periods between use...(varnish and such).....diesel or LP tend to be more suited to storage. LP generators run real quiet and clean too...
__________________
-diesel is not just a fuel, its a way of life-
'15 GLK250 Bluetec 88k - mine - (OC-91,200)
'17 Metris(VITO!) - 16k - wifes (OC-17k)
'01 E320 Wagon - 159k - mine (OC-160,000)
'01 E320 - 179k - dad's (OC-182,500)
'07 E350 Wagon - 133k - dad's (OC-132,500)
'01 SL500 - 52k - dad's (OC-52,000)
'16 E400 4matic Sedan - 70k - Brothers (OC-72,000)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 174
Remember to Service the Machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Geither View Post
After living in the boondocks for 37 years with no emergency power,,,, last year finally did the trick. 3 power outages, with one being 4 days. Wasn't too hard to convince the wife we needed a generator. So I have been looking and finally settled on a Generac 15K portable. Bought it online on saturday and it was delivered today. Could not believe the quick service, price and quality of the machine. Has a V twin, 30 HP engine which started instantly and appears to be able to do what we need. The electrician is coming later in the week to put in a transfer switch so we can operate safely and not put anyone else in danger. Will probably never lose power again.
I have several friends who live 90 miles + North of NY City and all own home generators. Last winter during the Ice Storm they lost power for up to 10 days.

NONE of the generators would start right away! All required cleaning of filters or replacement of fuel as NONE of these intelligent folks bothered to regularly SERVICE the machines!

Consider NOT fueling it until needed - if fueled, check for water due to condensation monthly. Use a fuel stabilizer if you musty leave it fueled. Use the draincock on the bottom of the tank to check for water , if there isn't one then have one installed.

Install a Battery Minder to keep the battery charged and replace the battery at 2 year inervals. remember in winter 1/2 the cranking power will be eaten by the cold!

Keep spare plugs and cables handy

Keep the MANUAL handy

Practice basic starting and servicing BEFORE it is needed-nothing is worse than trying to read the manual during a gale or blizzard and then doing the work.

DO NOT DEPEND on the Seller to Service it as well as you can! Most of the service guys do a basic 1-2-3 but do not go any further.

Seriously-I have to inspect the emergency Generators on all the Public Schools as a part of an Engineering Review we do yearly and one of the first things I do is trip the Transfer Test switch and see if the generator fires up. These are Diesel motors that are usually 50 KW to 75KW output and are supposed to be serviced monthly.

HAH!

Out of 1500 only 37 fired up on the first try (these were at schools where the Custodian and Boilerman were former Merchant Mariners-Gotta love an Ex Motor Mac!). The remainder needed at least 1 hour of work to make them fire up. Simple stuff like draining the condensated water from the tank and cleaning the filters. Some had oil that resembled tar and the records showed they had NEVER changed the oil. Some had the battery missing. (Usually down in the basement on a trickle charger but it should be up on the roof in the Genny shack on a trickle charger). Same with the fuel. Some had been modified to run on Natural Gas but no one made sure the Maxxon Switch was powered from a battery inverter system or that the batteries were in good shape.

So if you plan on owning one of these machines, please learn the basics BEFORE you need to use the skill.

Your house, animals and family will thank you for it.

Last edited by Stoney; 04-15-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 174
LP Gas works very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawoSD View Post
Why a gasoline generator? Gas doesn't do well with sitting long periods between use...(varnish and such).....diesel or LP tend to be more suited to storage. LP generators run real quiet and clean too...
I convinced 2 of my friends to switch to LP gas as a fuel for their genny's.
It is not a difficult switch, storage is easier and safer and you can use the smaller tanks as a supply if you run the bigger tank dry.

The only deal is clearing it with your home insurer and sometimes the county and Fire department (both will want to inspect for proper install and storage). Also post a sign on the garage that there is a LP Tank inside so the First Responders know (some do not consult the records before arriving at the scene).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Pete Geither's Avatar
Half Fast Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Western Pa.
Posts: 2,417
Anyone who knows me knows how anal I am on maintence and keeping things in working order. The electronic air cleaners in our house have never missed a monthly cleaning in 12 years. My cars are maintence heaven, so I look upon the generator as another item to put on the list. I had planned to run it at least twice a month, put Stabil in the gas, and keep the carbs empty when not in use, and of course keep the battery charged. I spent last night memorizing the manual, but may have to read it again as after the 4th beer, it started getting confusing.
__________________
95 SL500 Smoke Silver, Parchment 64K
07 E350 4matic Station Wagon White 34K
02 E320 4Matic Silver/grey 80K
05 F150 Silver 44K
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-15-2009, 01:27 PM
pawoSD's Avatar
Dieselsüchtiger
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 15,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Geither View Post
Anyone who knows me knows how anal I am on maintence and keeping things in working order. The electronic air cleaners in our house have never missed a monthly cleaning in 12 years. My cars are maintence heaven, so I look upon the generator as another item to put on the list. I had planned to run it at least twice a month, put Stabil in the gas, and keep the carbs empty when not in use, and of course keep the battery charged. I spent last night memorizing the manual, but may have to read it again as after the 4th beer, it started getting confusing.
I suppose that's different then.... But LP runs a lot cleaner/more efficient.....and has no storage/maintenance issues like gas....
__________________
-diesel is not just a fuel, its a way of life-
'15 GLK250 Bluetec 88k - mine - (OC-91,200)
'17 Metris(VITO!) - 16k - wifes (OC-17k)
'01 E320 Wagon - 159k - mine (OC-160,000)
'01 E320 - 179k - dad's (OC-182,500)
'07 E350 Wagon - 133k - dad's (OC-132,500)
'01 SL500 - 52k - dad's (OC-52,000)
'16 E400 4matic Sedan - 70k - Brothers (OC-72,000)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Pete Geither's Avatar
Half Fast Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Western Pa.
Posts: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawoSD View Post
I suppose that's different then.... But LP runs a lot cleaner/more efficient.....and has no storage/maintenance issues like gas....
Yes, there are good and bad points about all types really. I did want a diesel, but to get a 15K portable diesel would have been some SERIOUS money. So for emergency use only, I couldn't justify the cost.
__________________
95 SL500 Smoke Silver, Parchment 64K
07 E350 4matic Station Wagon White 34K
02 E320 4Matic Silver/grey 80K
05 F150 Silver 44K
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: S. Texas
Posts: 1,237
Run aviation gasoline. It lasts for ever because it doesn't have the kind of additives that cause gum. I run avgas in my lawnmower, edger and chain saw.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-15-2009, 03:27 PM
pawoSD's Avatar
Dieselsüchtiger
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 15,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by kip Foss View Post
Run aviation gasoline. It lasts for ever because it doesn't have the kind of additives that cause gum. I run avgas in my lawnmower, edger and chain saw.
Interesting.....finding it would be another matter. That's a good thing to know!
__________________
-diesel is not just a fuel, its a way of life-
'15 GLK250 Bluetec 88k - mine - (OC-91,200)
'17 Metris(VITO!) - 16k - wifes (OC-17k)
'01 E320 Wagon - 159k - mine (OC-160,000)
'01 E320 - 179k - dad's (OC-182,500)
'07 E350 Wagon - 133k - dad's (OC-132,500)
'01 SL500 - 52k - dad's (OC-52,000)
'16 E400 4matic Sedan - 70k - Brothers (OC-72,000)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Medmech's Avatar
Gone Waterboarding
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawoSD View Post
Interesting.....finding it would be another matter. That's a good thing to know!
Wild guess but I bet you can it it at the airport.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 174
Good for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Geither View Post
Anyone who knows me knows how anal I am on maintence and keeping things in working order. The electronic air cleaners in our house have never missed a monthly cleaning in 12 years. My cars are maintence heaven, so I look upon the generator as another item to put on the list. I had planned to run it at least twice a month, put Stabil in the gas, and keep the carbs empty when not in use, and of course keep the battery charged. I spent last night memorizing the manual, but may have to read it again as after the 4th beer, it started getting confusing.
Good for you , Pete.

I wish everyone was that way, it would make life a lot easier, and cheaper!

My comments were based on my experiences with folks that either don't do what they should or are paid to do or pay others to do it and discover the true result when they need the generator.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page