Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Vintage Mercedes Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 09:44 PM
https://fintail.org

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I went to the Mercedes-Benz dealer and ordered the $140 windshield seal. Then I had Safelite install a new PPG windshield for $240 (57% off sale). Of course, the PPG glass had a "Made in China" sticker on it.

After 2 hours my car was ready, but a couple days later it rained and the windshield was leaking worse than the previous one! Though it was not installed as poorly as the other glass shop did, it still looks like the windshield and gasket are not set in all the way. It looks like the windshield is floating on the body, and the upper corners are open so you can look inside.

Of course, the seal got all torn up from installation--and it's dry rotted and weather checked already. In the center of the roof the seal falls in because of the gap between the seal and the body. And I can pull the lower corners of the seal away because apparently there isn't any sealant in there.

I'm starting to freakin' hate this car. I live in Washington state and with it raining constantly the interior of the car keeps filling up with water and I can't take it anymore. This is the 3rd new windshield that's been installed in the past year or two and I've had to take it back over and over to try to get the glass shops to make it stop leaking. No one can get it right!

I'm about ready to sell this car and get my fintail driveable. And what the heck is the deal with how the water pools up in the corners of the windshield; bad design, or what? I've had cars that are over 40 years old with the original, rotten windshield seals not leak a drop! The rubber in my 1967 Mercedes is horrible, but it does not leak at all.

Attached Thumbnails
New Off-Brand Windshield And It Leaks!-w116seal.jpg   New Off-Brand Windshield And It Leaks!-w116seal2.jpg   New Off-Brand Windshield And It Leaks!-w116seal3.jpg   New Off-Brand Windshield And It Leaks!-w116seal4.jpg  

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 350,000+ Miles
Old 09-22-2008, 11:13 PM

I am guessing that by this point you have spent more than if you had just done it right the first time.

Welcome to the club! It's only money.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:15 PM

I'm begining to wonder if the windshield area has some damage.

Al
Old 09-22-2008, 11:30 PM
MBCA Member

aftermarket anything on a benz is a recipe for disaster, that goes for glass and bolts (Kamax or suitable equivalent only) at the rate your going I could go to the yard, pull a W116 OE windshield and mail it to you for cheaper. . .

-Current Stable-
'78 MB 450SL-C 107.024.12.020783 #3840 <Kayleen>
'85 FORD F250 6.9L Diesel <Allison>
'98 Lexus ES300 <Rachel>
Long Gone...
'74 Chevy G10...........................'99 GMC Yukon 4X4
'83 Chevy Suburban 6.2 diesel .....'99 SAAB 9-5
'90 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS............. '01 Chevy Tahoe
'98 Nissan Altima .......................'02 MB ML320
'88 Chevy Suburban V2500 4X4 6.2 diesel
Old 09-22-2008, 11:37 PM

I have a PPG windshield on one of my 6.9's. No problem what so ever.

Al
Old 09-22-2008, 11:38 PM

you mights have some rust behind the seal. Most likely the glass isn't the correct size.
1976 240D 190,000 miles
1979 300TD 220,000

GONE but not forgotten
1976 300D 195,300 miles
1983 300D Turbo 175,000 miles

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...e485-1-2-1.jpg
Old 09-22-2008, 11:50 PM

I looked at the windshield area of the body when the seal was out and it looked brand new--no rust at all and the paint was nice and shiny. But there were large chunks of the old seal and sealant still in place when the windshield was installed. I questioned this, but the installers said, "It doesn't matter, it just means we have to use less sealant".

I think that it just won't lock in place because parts of the old rubber are preventing it from going in further. I know that for sure water is getting in through the upper corners and running along the windshield area and getting inside the car. Since I can pull the lower corners of the seal away, it's obvious that the water that collects there is leaking in between the seal and the glass and coming inside from there as well.

I just don't understand how a professional shop would not see this and realize it will leak? And why would a brand new seal start checking and crumbling? Maybe I got an NOS 1970's part?

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 350,000+ Miles
Old 09-23-2008, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggle Dog View Post
I looked at the windshield area of the body when the seal was out and it looked brand new--no rust at all and the paint was nice and shiny. But there were large chunks of the old seal and sealant still in place when the windshield was installed. I questioned this, but the installers said, "It doesn't matter, it just means we have to use less sealant".

That's your problem. They should have removed the old sealant.

Warren

Currently 1965 220Sb, 2002 FORD Crown Vic Police Interceptor

Had 1965 220SEb, 1967 230S, 280SE 4.5, 300SE (W126), 420SEL

ENTER > = (HP RPN)

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Admiral-Third World Fleet

Quote:
That's your problem. They should have removed the old sealant.
What he said. When I replaced mine it seemed like it took about a half a day to get all that old fossilized goo off. Not something a "pro" is going to do as part of his $100 job.
80 300SD (129k mi) 82 240D stick (193k mi)77 240D auto - stick to be (153k mi) 85 380SL (145k mi) 89 BMW 535i 82 Diesel Rabbit Pickup (374k mi) 91 Jetta IDI Diesel (155k mi) 81 VW Rabbit Convertible Diesel 70 Triumph Spitfire Mk III (63kmi)66 Triumph TR4a IRS (90k mi)67 Ford F-100 (??)
Old 09-23-2008, 09:24 AM

I have considered many times just doing the job myself using OEM glass and seal. I know there is a risk of the glass breaking, but I know that I would do the job correctly. I would have removed almost every trace of sealant and started with a clean surface. Then I would have filled the glass channel with the 3M bedding compound and carefully stretched the seal over the glass. I would have then inserted the molding (being sure it was not bent beforehand). Then the body would get sealant in the windshield area, and I would put a rope inside the lip of the seal, and have a helper help me place the windshield and seal perfectly centered on the body, and then start from the lower center of the seal, pulling the rope a little on each side until the seal was in there, and using those suction cup things or the palms of my hands I would make sure the windshield was seated properly. I do all the work on my car (except alignments) because I don't trust other people to work on it. This is a prime example.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Admiral-Third World Fleet

SD-

I didn't notice the pix until now. That looks like a pretty poor job. I must say I really struggled with the trim ( and I don't have it all in now). As I said, I used an aftermarket seal and there was just no way to keep it all together. Your seal can probably be improved somewhat with copious amounts of 3M bedding compound around the outside and some flowable RTV on the glass, but its hard to see how that's really going to completely fix it. Mine is really sloppy and I am really pouring on the bedding compound, but I don't have the trim in the way and I am pretty sure I will eventually get it functionally OK. I am going to stick the trim on only after I am sure its dry ( and I'll probably be cutting and glueing it on, if I have to) .

Rick
80 300SD (129k mi) 82 240D stick (193k mi)77 240D auto - stick to be (153k mi) 85 380SL (145k mi) 89 BMW 535i 82 Diesel Rabbit Pickup (374k mi) 91 Jetta IDI Diesel (155k mi) 81 VW Rabbit Convertible Diesel 70 Triumph Spitfire Mk III (63kmi)66 Triumph TR4a IRS (90k mi)67 Ford F-100 (??)
Old 09-23-2008, 03:51 PM

I would agree, that they did a very poor job of it. I went with Safelite, paid $200ish and $120 for a new MB seal. No problem since. It's in the install, and looks like yours wasn't done right at the corners.

Did they add the goop between the seal and the glass? There was a PDF file I saw here about how to do the windshield yourself that involves a string that you tie at both ends and a specific way to get the seal to properly seal using that lubed string. Hopefully they did that with yours. You also shouldn't be able to push onto the edge of the windshield "frame" (seal and chrome trim) and notice any play. If so then it's probably not properly sealed.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:00 PM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Gosh dang it!

I went to Safelite today, but all they did is pull the corners way out and fill it with sealant, but there are gaps on the sides of where they filled, so now new spots will leak. Something is screwed up. Even if they got it to not leak inside the car, water will still fill up on the body and rust the body out. I called the dealer and they want $600 for a windshield plus $140 for the seal. For $95 I could have Safelite install them, but I bet they would chew up my new seal again. I could install it myself, but I have nowhere to install it and it rains here constantly. It's too bad that I'm going to have to sell my car because of a design flaw on Mercedes part to design a windshield so difficult that 3 different glass shops can't get it right, and making the parts so expensive that the OEM parts are not affordable. I spent every bit of extra money that I had saved up on trying to get the windshield fixed and I only have $100 spending money left over after paying bills each paycheck that I have to use wisely to keep my car running. And I just know that if I spend $1,000 and have the windshield done correctly that a big rock will fly up and crack it. I can't afford anything other than liability only insurance, so I am screwed when it comes to glass.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:11 PM

I think that you need to start pounding your fist, if they don't do it right. Dispute the charge on your credit card and take it to someone else.

Al
Old 09-23-2008, 08:24 PM

Believe me, I've been pounding my fists on lots of things today. I'm trying to figure out what to do. I don't want to come across as a bad customer, but I am really not happy with the job and it obviously wasn't done well. I guess I could ask them to pull it all out and then put it back in, but I don't know if they would go for that.

What I want to know is why they ripped the seal up so badly. I don't think it's fair that I paid for a new top-of-the-line seal and ended up with a ripped up and stretched out one by the time they were done with it. Maybe I should tell them to buy a new OEM seal, remove the glass, clean the frame totally out, and then reinstall, making sure they don't cut the seal up this time. Is it really too much to ask for a shop to not slice the seal up when installing? And I sure hope that my trim is not bent enough to cause problems.

I paid cash, so unfortunately I cannot dispute the charge. I'm just freaking out because every shop has let me down and I'm starting to worry that I can't afford to own a Mercedes just because the glass is so expensive. I think most of the parts are affordable and I almost always buy from the dealer, but $600 just for a piece of glass that will probably break in a couple years?