Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 07:44 PM

Exclamation Installing A/C on European w123 240D - help needed !

Hello guys!

I have an european w123 240D OM616.912 and i want to install A/C system.
A friend gave me some parts for this job, including york compressor, model 484 22011, radiator, bloer motor DIAVIA, compressor bracket DIAVIA, condensor, and i also have a round switch that i think has some missing parts.
As soon as i get home i will post photos for what i have.

For example one problem is the fact that the compressors bracket can not fit my engine, at least i dont imagine how.. This model of compressor must be mounted on the left side of the engine.

I found out that the compressor bracket is for 280 engine, the code is 00138mb by diavia. And the piece that i need might be 001322mb.
I know that i also need a pulley and an ideller pulley.
I also posted a photo with the button i have.
I really need your help because i dont know how to go on with the work.

Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails
Installing A/C on European w123 240D - help needed !-hpim3600.jpg   Installing A/C on European w123 240D - help needed !-hpim3602.jpg   Installing A/C on European w123 240D - help needed !-hpim3606.jpg   Installing A/C on European w123 240D - help needed !-hpim3608.jpg   Installing A/C on European w123 240D - help needed !-hpim3613.jpg  

Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 PM

Location: Cicero, Hamilton County, Indiana about 30 miles north of downtown Indianapolis
grigorean Don't let anyone talk you out of what you want to do, but you picked for yourself a huge job. Difficult enough to keep those old AC running, let alone install one from scratch. I would recommend that you buy a junker that you can take apart piece by piece and learn a lot from that experience. If that doesn't stall out your enthusiasm, then with the pictures you have taken dismantling the system, you could put it back together in the car of your choice. Short of getting your own junker, the junkyards usually have ample examples of most any Mercedes, and I would find one with a likely model and practice on that. Don't be shy about staying there for a long time, because it is far more then you will do in a week. But that way you can accumulate every piece and part you need, you will know how to get that dash all apart and get it all back together. Your parts will not be new, but they will be a matched set. Remember to take a ton of pictures, you will need every one. Most of the 240D's had a manual operating system which is a bit simpler then the automatic temperature system, but much more difficult to find in a junkyard. From what I see of the system, if you go for the automatic system stay with the later models, like 83 to 85. The early models had a system that drive their operators to distraction because the system is so hard to maintain. Here is a page from the European EPC that shows on 18 pages all the parts that make up the AC. I hope this will help you get started.

http://mb.ilcats.ru/part/class/1/ccode/1/cat/318/type/123/subtype/102/group/83

1983 Mercedes W123 240D 4 Speed 285,000 on the road with a 617 turbo, beautiful butter yellow, license plate # 83 240D INDIANA

2003 Jaguar Type X, AWD. beautiful, good mileage,
Mom's car, but I won't let her drive it!
Old 07-01-2011, 08:56 PM

Aren't the Yorks mounted high on the right side of the engine?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:33 PM

I have attached a couple pictures of your application. Sorry they are no better than they are but I was not really focusing on the a/c bracket. You should fins three bolt holes in that area of the block that the bracket matches up to. Also, note how one edge of the bracket goes at the front of the block. Also note the two adjustable pieces that mount between the compressor and bracket. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing A/C on European w123 240D - help needed !-small-drivers-side-engine.jpg   Installing A/C on European w123 240D - help needed !-pictures-bottom-brackets.jpg  
Old 07-02-2011, 12:47 AM
I LOVE BRUNETTES

Thumbs up

You have a Sanden (or Sanden style) universal compressor pictured there.

'85 300SD 245k
'87 300SDL 251k
'90 300SEL 326k

Six others from BMW, GM, and Ford.

Liberty will not descend to a people; a people must raise themselves to liberty.
[/IMG]
Old 07-02-2011, 03:39 AM

Thank you all for your replies.
In my country there is no way i could find a w123 with A/C, not in the junkyard and not on the streets.
What i pictured, is the system that i have managed to get, but i think it is from an 280 engine.
Any way if the compressor that i have can be used with OM 616, and it can be mounted in the left side, down, then i hope i will find a good bracket, a pulley and an idler pulley - These are the most important things that i dont have !
Old 07-02-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
You have a Sanden (or Sanden style) universal compressor pictured there.
Thank You... I kept looking but did not say anything wondering if York later put out a normal type of compressor... I assumed he called it a ' York ' because he read 'York' on the side of its body...
Old 07-02-2011, 08:37 AM

OP, time to put your country in the upper left of your posts... like we do.. particularly on AC questions... it often makes a difference in what we suggest... we are that 'fine tuned'...LOL
Old 07-02-2011, 08:38 AM

That threw me off for a few minutes there. Anyway, if it were my car I would clean up around the front drivers side of the engine and see if I could find the bolt holes where the bracket he has is supposed to attach (if the bracket came off of the same type engine).
Old 07-02-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engatwork View Post
That threw me off for a few minutes there.
OP's throwing curve balls their FIRST PITCH !!! will cause a pause ....
Old 07-02-2011, 08:54 AM

lol

It happens quite often too.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:07 AM

If he had not posted the pictures.... our answers would have been in a different ballpark from his needs...
Old 07-02-2011, 09:55 AM

The bracket that i have it is not good for this type of engine, and this is not the only problem, i also need a pulley.
Do you guys have any idea if this compressor can be mounted on 240d 616.912?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:08 AM

When you post...if you want max help.... read the posts which have been put up and follow the advise if you are able...
There is another thread right now on mounting that sort of compressor low and left on the engine.. as compared to the usual R4 Delco...
Have you read it ?
Most people have no way to either independently mount.. or modify AC mounts on these cars... it can be done.. but few have done it.. and even fewer posted to where others could follow their example...

Tell us where you are, what kind of tools you have, what kind of local resources are available...like hydraulic hose shops and what kind of mechanical background you have...
The chances of finding a ' order it and bolt it on' are very slim as far as we know..
many of us would have already done that to get rid of the R4 type of compressor if we could...
Old 07-03-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathermang View Post
When you post...if you want max help.... read the posts which have been put up and follow the advise if you are able...
There is another thread right now on mounting that sort of compressor low and left on the engine.. as compared to the usual R4 Delco...
Have you read it ?
Most people have no way to either independently mount.. or modify AC mounts on these cars... it can be done.. but few have done it.. and even fewer posted to where others could follow their example...

Tell us where you are, what kind of tools you have, what kind of local resources are available...like hydraulic hose shops and what kind of mechanical background you have...
The chances of finding a ' order it and bolt it on' are very slim as far as we know..
many of us would have already done that to get rid of the R4 type of compressor if we could...

OK, let me answer...

I am from Romania, i have an euro w123 240D, OM616.912.
I really want to install A/C on this car, i will try my best to put original A/C but i dont have any chance, i will install an aftermarket model, maybe electrical one.
This A/C installation that i have, i got it from a friend of mine (he knows nothing about this installation).
I got this compressor and its bracket, but it has nothing to do with my engine, i think it is from a w123 280 engine.
I do have access to a wide set of tools and i am also studying at the Technical University, so i am not out of the domain..

If you guys say that this type of compressor it is not good... i dont know what to do.. i read that many of you tryed to get rid of this type of compressor... well this is not an option for me... It is working and i have to mount it in the right position.

Missing parts are : bracket, pulley, fan (which can be adapted from other car) and switch.

The most important thing is that i really want to install any type of A/C to my car, but first of all i want to try using this system that i already have!

I attached a photo with the compressors details.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing A/C on European w123 240D - help needed !-03072011950.jpg